Dennys Rye extract question

I will be brewing Dennys Wry Smile extract version this weekend and I have a question about the design of the recipe. It looks like the base malt and rye amounts are converted correctly percentage-wise. But to me the crystal seems way too high on the extract version. I have the Rye liquid malt and it says 70% 2-row, 20% rye, and 10% C40L.
On the AG version, crystal is only like 6% of the bill. The extract version has that 10% C40 and also .5 lb C60L. Is it just me or is this a bit much crystal? I’d like the beer to be as dry as possible, should I leave the C60L out?

[quote=“RiverStreet”]I will be brewing Dennys Wry Smile extract version this weekend and I have a question about the design of the recipe. It looks like the base malt and rye amounts are converted correctly percentage-wise. But to me the crystal seems way too high on the extract version. I have the Rye liquid malt and it says 70% 2-row, 20% rye, and 10% C40L.
On the AG version, crystal is only like 6% of the bill. The extract version has that 10% C40 and also .5 lb C60L. Is it just me or is this a bit much crystal? I’d like the beer to be as dry as possible, should I leave the C60L out?[/quote]

I would guess that its because you are not mashing the c60/40, but steeping it when doing an extract batch. I haven’t brewed an extract batch in awhile, but I would probably leave it where it is. The malt syrups are very fermentable, and you do want a bit of sweetness/caramel character in a beer like this.

Perhaps the purpose of the additional C60 is to give the extract brew an improved grainy flavor. But personally, I agree with your concerns, RiverStreet, and I would leave it out for fear of way too much body and sweetness. Instead I might throw in a couple ounces of victory malt or biscuit malt or something like that to give some grainy flavor without contributing to sweetness and fullness. Hell, I might even substitute that half pound of C60 for a half pound of cane sugar to help keep things thin and dry. I think you will find that rye contributes a fullness and sweetness all its own anyway. In my 40% rye malt beer (yes, this is an all-grain beer), it always comes out thick like motor oil, even when it attenuates down to like 1.013. So adding crystal on top of it, especially in an extract recipe, is quite iffy indeed.

Anyway, I’m sure Denny will be on here in a moment to trump everything I have just said! :mrgreen:

Well, Dave… :wink:

I brewed the recipe several times when I was designing it. The amount of crystal are correct and needed to give the beer the right flavor. Take note of the lb. of sugar…by using the sugar and the C60, it not only has the same flavor as the AG version, but should finish at the same FG. In short, the kit is correct and I have verified that by brewing the extract version several times.

Well I’ll be darned… I didn’t know your recipe had already specified a pound of plain old sugar, or I might’ve kept my mouth shut! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Denny”]Well, Dave… :wink:

I brewed the recipe several times when I was designing it. The amount of crystal are correct and needed to give the beer the right flavor. Take note of the lb. of sugar…by using the sugar and the C60, it not only has the same flavor as the AG version, but should finish at the same FG. In short, the kit is correct and I have verified that by brewing the extract version several times.[/quote]

Touche’ I would have had comments similar to Dave if I had commented before reading the recipe. This would make a nice kit to brew in the kitchen sometime and not get out all my gear. Denny do you get any compensation when kits you help develop recipes for are sold. You don’t have to answer if it’s frankly none of my business

[quote=“bdaugherty”]

Touche’ I would have had comments similar to Dave if I had commented before reading the recipe. This would make a nice kit to brew in the kitchen sometime and not get out all my gear. Denny do you get any compensation when kits you help develop recipes for are sold. You don’t have to answer if it’s frankly none of my business[/quote]

Nothing but the satisfaction of helping other homebrewers.

[quote=“Denny”]Well, Dave… :wink:

I brewed the recipe several times when I was designing it. The amount of crystal are correct and needed to give the beer the right flavor. Take note of the lb. of sugar…by using the sugar and the C60, it not only has the same flavor as the AG version, but should finish at the same FG. In short, the kit is correct and I have verified that by brewing the extract version several times.[/quote]

Duh why didnt I think of going to the source first?? Thanks Denny.

I want to add that I am brewing this kit at next to nothing in cost thanks to NB. My original order came with all pilsen instead of the rye extract and NB replaced it for nothing and also picked up the shipping. So basically I got 2 kits for the price of one, almost. Not many places do things like that anymore. Northern Brewer Rocks!!! Thank you!