Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Denny's Fav50 Attenuation?

I brewed Denny’s Wry Smile about a month ago, and it’s been sitting in primary ever since (waiting for a keg to open up, which just happened last night). I took a sample for tasting & gravity measurement purposes, and I have some questions.

OG: 19.3% Brix
FG: 10.3% Brix

Using Sean Terrill’s calculator, this gives me something like OG 1.077 and FG 1.018, which would give me an apparent attenuation of ~75% (actual attenuation lower at ~62%).

Using the “standard” calculator (e.g., Beersmith), I get higher OGs (+0.004) and lower FGs (-0.003), which bumps up the attenuation +5-7%.

My question is twofold:
(1) Is this a normal level of attenuation for Denny’s Fav50 yeast (and/or the usual attenuation, period), all else held constant?
(2) Is the general consensus that Sean’s refractometer calculator (cubic equation?) should be the standard?

[quote=“Silentknyght”]I brewed Denny’s Wry Smile about a month ago, and it’s been sitting in primary ever since (waiting for a keg to open up, which just happened last night). I took a sample for tasting & gravity measurement purposes, and I have some questions.

OG: 19.3% Brix
FG: 10.3% Brix

Using Sean Terrill’s calculator, this gives me something like OG 1.077 and FG 1.018, which would give me an apparent attenuation of ~75% (actual attenuation lower at ~62%).

Using the “standard” calculator (e.g., Beersmith), I get higher OGs (+0.004) and lower FGs (-0.003), which bumps up the attenuation +5-7%.

My question is twofold:
(1) Is this a normal level of attenuation for Denny’s Fav50 yeast (and/or the usual attenuation, period), all else held constant?
(2) Is the general consensus that Sean’s refractometer calculator (cubic equation?) should be the standard?[/quote]

1.) it’s in the ballpark. I’m usually in the mid 70s and sometimes as high as low 80s.
2.) absolutely

Ive used a refractometer for my last 6-7 batches and using seans calculator my FGs have matched my hydrometer to the point except a mild which was off several points

[quote=“Denny”]

1.) it’s in the ballpark. I’m usually in the mid 70s and sometimes as high as low 80s.
2.) absolutely[/quote]

Thanks, Denny. When you make yours, do you know your water profile (or, if you make any salt additions, can you share?). This doesn’t taste quite as I remember it to be, and hence why I thought it might be an attenuation issue.

[quote=“Silentknyght”][quote=“Denny”]

2.) absolutely[/quote]

Thanks, Denny. When you make yours, do you know your water profile (or, if you make any salt additions, can you share?). This doesn’t taste quite as I remember it to be, and hence why I thought it might be an attenuation issue.[/quote]

Here’s where I end up. I intend to see it I can rework it to get the Ca in the 75ish range.

Finished Profile ppm
Ca 119
Mg 7
Na 11
SO4 227
Cl 29
HCO3 52

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com