Dennyls Rye PA

I found this link to Denny’s RyePA but was a bit perplexed because it appears there is no rye in it. I wanted to make this but I want to use Rye is there another link to this recipe that has rye?

http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/385

Not sure what that recipe is. It’s not his Rye IPA. Here’s a link to the real recipe.

http://www.brew365.com/beer_dennys_rye_ipa.php

Not my recipe…“Submitted by Cliff_Sullivan”…the other link appears to be correct.

Yeah I noticed it said Denny Rye IPA had no rye in it. It did say altered but that was from hops. False advertisement I guess

Denny scince I got you, I was planning on making that rye IPA I have two questions one is I have a 32 qt cooler so I may have to do a thicker mash what would you recommend not go go thicker than?

Second I have an Irish red ale that I used the American II yeast with 1272, my plan was to use the yeast cake instead of doing a starter, I read it somewhere on here that I could do that, would recommend that or just make a starter?

Also I normally do not secondary can I just add the dry hops to the primary, and I heard you do not use pellets is whole hops better or does it not matter?

[quote=“Jon462”]Denny scince I got you, I was planning on making that rye IPA I have two questions one is I have a 32 qt cooler so I may have to do a thicker mash what would you recommend not go go thicker than?

Second I have an Irish red ale that I used the American II yeast with 1272, my plan was to use the yeast cake instead of doing a starter, I read it somewhere on here that I could do that, would recommend that or just make a starter?[/quote]

I’d say you can use any mash ratio that works for you. I wouldn’t go less than .75 qt./lb. But you should be able to manage a little more than that, I think.

Yeah, you can dry hop in primary when the fermentation is done. Whole or pellets doesn’t matter…I use whichever form I have on hand and smells better.

I’d use half the slurry of 1272 rather than all of it. I’ve found I prefer the results I get from not using it all.

Hot damn I need to make this beer again. It was great! Just have so many other things coming on on the brew schedule.

It’s been a number of years since I made this beer and it has always been one of my favorites. I think this trumps the IPA I was going to do on Saturday this week. I am in serious need of a keg of this stuff. It won’t last long but might fill what I have been thirsting for.

Crystal rye instead of crystal 60?

I tried that and didn’t any real improvement. Not a lot of rye flavor in crystal rye IMO.

I tried that and didn’t any real improvement. Not a lot of rye flavor in crystal rye IMO.[/quote]

Good to know, the crystal rye is more expensive.

Never thought I’d see the say when I would struggle to find a credible recipe for Denny’s Rye PA, but I think we’re there.

The grain bill on the above recipe looks right, but the hops seem light in terms of IBU. Recipe states 48 IBU, which probably ignores the bittering of the FWH, but even if that’s included as similar to a 15min addition, it still comes out shy of 1:1 BU:GU.

Could be right, but does anyone know for sure?

I have some promash files that I assume are what I made and loved years ago, but I have a few versions and I’m not sure. The most credible one looks to be 45IBU Columbus at 60 min, 15 IBU Mt Hood at 30 min and another ~15 IBU that comes from the FWH. Grand total of ~75IBU, which sounds a lot closer to me.

Appreciate any help from anyone who has better records than I (Denny? :slight_smile: )

My recent rye pale ale, which is a close version aka ripoff :joy: Of the original came in at 44 IBU. I suspect the rye IPA would by definition have a higher IBU.