Delay between wort collect and boil?

So, my daughter has a soccer game in the middle of a day I was planning on brewing. Is there any reason why I couldn’t collect all my wort, and then let it sit for an hour or so before I start the boil? It seems like it would be fine to me, but you guys may know something I don’t.

I would get the mash started & then go to the soccer game. Then when you get back you can run it off and have a much warmer wort to start with. The longer mash won’t hurt anything. Cheers!!!

some have said DMS can start to build up if you do that (though I’ve done it before, for a split batch, without much consequence). Maybe bump up to a 90 minute boil to drive off any precursors.

I do agree with the above-poster re: the mash as well. You might even bump your efficiency!

If you don’t do a mashout or heat the wort before you let it sit for an hour, it’s the same as leaving it in the mashtun - all the sugars are in solution and the enzymes are still munching away.

I usually do a mashout, and I probably will for this batch cause I don’t want to end up with something overly attenuated. I’ll consider doing the mash during gametime, I figure which I do will depend on what time it happens to be when I get to that point. I’m not too worried about DMS with this beer (pumpkin ale), but I might do the 90min thing. I do 90min boils about as often as not anyway.

Thanks guys.

If you want to go to the game worry-free, just get the kettle to 180F and wrap it in a blanket before you go.

So, what I ended up doing was heating my collected wort to 190 or so to make sure the enzymes were denatured, and then left for the game. My runnoff was down to a very slow trickle at this point, and I went ahead and left the valve open, I ended up collecting another couple quarts of wort while I was gone. Which is good, cause I was a little short. I was mashing pumpkin, and that stuff is sticky.

Anyway, it seems to have worked well, if I had a DMS problem I couldn’t taste it in the boiled wort. We’ll see how the finished product turns out.

Thanks as always for the help guys.

Nate

I would just do a longer mash.

I mash in at lunch and start the sparge/lautering as soon as I get home at 4pm.

Never had an issue at all.