Dehumidifiers in kegerator

Hello all:

I’ve been using a silicon gel based dehumidifier that has proven inadequate for keeping condensation under control in my keezer. Before investing in a bigger bag(s) of dehumidifying gel, I was wondering if anyone has experience using small electrically powered dehumidifiers inside a keezer or kegeratory.

Do those units put off heat, and if so, enough to be concerned about in the keezer? I have a keezer with a collar so I could drill a hole for a power cord and the dehumidifier inside.

I have to do something soon because rust spots are appearing on the inside walls of my new converted Kenmore chest freezer (< 1 year), which is not cool.

These have been discussed with favorable responses in the past.

https://www.eva-dry.com/

+1 to the Eva-Dry.

I currently have an Eva-dry unit in the keezer. It is inadequate. There is considerable moisture on the interior walls at all times. Basement RH lately around 60-70%. I try to open the keezer as little as possible.

I have since learned that an electrical dehumidifier is not advisable - they put off some heat.

There’s something you can put in there that soaks up moisture, but I’m not sure what it’s called.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]+1 to the Eva-Dry.[/quote] +2 I have two units so that when it’s time to re-generate one, the other is still working.

I’ve got two Eva-Dry units, too, but I find it to be inadequate… Maybe due to the lack of airflow or the temperature (~35F).

But it’s as bad as it was…

Other than the Eva-Dry’s

[quote=“larsenj”] I’ve got two Eva-Dry units, too, but I find it to be inadequate… Maybe due to the lack of airflow or the temperature (~35F).
But it’s as bad as it was…[/quote]
:? The Eva-Drys work fine in mine.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”][quote=“larsenj”] I’ve got two Eva-Dry units, too, but I find it to be inadequate… Maybe due to the lack of airflow or the temperature (~35F).
But it’s as bad as it was…[/quote]
:? The Eva-Drys work fine in mine.[/quote]

Sorry… I meant “not as bad”, but it is still pretty damp in there. Where do you have them positioned in your kegerator? Maybe I have mine configured to not be as effective.

Other than the Eva-Dry’s

[/quote]
Cool, I might pick up a tub of that for my chest freezer ferm chamber. Tends to get damp and my brew haulers get moldy. Getting a little tired of that.

So after all the great input (thanks everyone) I’m going to consider a few options:

1. Get another Eva-dry unit and try different locations in the keezer. I keep the one now near the bottom, assuming the moist air will tend to sink down.

2. Instead of another Eva-dry unit, get something else with more silica gel, such as the bags or cans sold for gun safes and closets that hold up to two pounds of silica gel, but are recharged in the oven. Not as convenient as an Eva-dry unit, but they have far more dehydrating power.

3. Maybe try a tub of damp rid as it is easy to obtain and relatively cheap, at least in the short term.

Longer term, I might get a portable dehumidifier for the basement. The RH is a little high down there, especially in the winter months. Drying the basement will help keep the keezer dry, too.

One Eva-Dry 500 wasn’t enough to keep the puddles out of my kegerator, but two seem to do the trick. They’re relatively cheap on Amazon.

2 Eva Dry’s and a small fan for air circulation works pretty well for me. Still have to clean it up once in a while but not bad.

I caulked around the bottom inside of my kegerator, and I noticed that the inside moisture has really dropped off (that includes using two Eva-Dries).

How large of a kezzer do guys with 2 Eva Drys have?

[quote=“gregscsu”]How large of a kezzer do guys with 2 Eva Drys have?[/quote]I believe mine is 14 cu-ft. Big enough for six cornies and a CO2 bottle on the floor and two 3-gal cornies on the shelf.

I’m not sure about the cubic foot size, but I have seven corney kegs and my 20lb CO2 canister in my keezer, and I have room for at least one more keg – maybe two.

I’m not sure about the cubic foot size, but I have seven corney kegs and my 20lb CO2 canister in my keezer, and I have room for at least one more keg – maybe two.[/quote]

Well in that case I am sure one will be sufficient in my 5.3 cu ft kezzer. Which holds two 5 gal cornies, a 3 gal cornie, two mini kegs, and CO2 tank and reg

I run a small fan in mine as well to keep the air moving.