Decoction mashing?

Hello I have a ? about Decoction mashing when they say to pull thickest 1/3 of the mash for the decoction part. Is the 1/3 you pull from the mash the weight from your grain bill is that what I pull or what I am confuse

1/3 of the mash will be more than 1/3 the weight of your starting grain bill because it’s wet. If you have volume marks on your kettle just dip from the thicker/lower part of the mash until you’ve decreased the volume by 1/3. Otherwise just kind of eyeball it. Doesn’t have to be so precise.

I agree and if you overshoot and hit your next rest temp just let the boiled grain sit and cool before adding it back in.

1 Like

Well since we are on decoc mash, when I did my doppel bock, in never pulled any grain/liquids out. But I did do a rest at the different temps using the flame under my BIAB set up. Would you think its still a decoc, or is the boiling a necessary function the the process? Sneezles61

You should keep in mind the history of decoction. It was invented before the invention of the thermometer as a way to get repeatable temperatures in a step mash by just using a bucket as a measuring device. The key is everything is it is volume based, so when you pull “the thickest 1/3” it is talking about 1/3 the volume of the total mash, with as much of that being grain as you can easily get with a bucket.

You did a step mash. Yes decoction means pulling and boiling part of the mash.

1 Like

Agreed. I believe the boiling process is important to ‘uncover’ additional starches that can then be converted in the remainder of the mash process.
And even as I type this, it sounds hokey to me. I wonder where I read this, or did I dream it up?
Anyways, I do a decoction from 147 to 157 when I do my altbiers and lagers. Tradition…With everything else I do a single step infusion mash.

Was just over at reddit, there was a conversation about this, and the two mashes… Good info. I suspect that peeps with mash-tuns can read fore days about this subject. Me?, I BIAB and won’t do any more than the last sacc. rest… Sneezles61