Dead Wyeast?

Ok so here is the situation. Brewed an all-grain Surly Bender clone pitched yeast 38 hours ago. I finally see the airlock bubble every 40-60 seconds however there is no krosen. Should I re-pitch? I saw no airlock movement at 30 hours.

OG 1.056
I mashed at 151.
I pitched at 68 and the ferment is in my basement which is at 67.
I used Wyeast 1335 British Ale II, no starter when I smacked the pack only one nutrient bag broke open and the package swelled some but not a ton.

I have some dry saf-05 that I could pitch but that’s it and the nearest homebrew store is 1.5 hours away.

What should I do?

Lack of airlock activity, lack of Kreausen does not indicate lack of fermentation. I have been caught on this a few times. While you probably underpitched, thus the lag, I think you will be ok. The only way to check for sure is to check gravity. In my experiences I let it go a week and then checked gravity.

[quote=“Dennis_W”]Ok so here is the situation. Brewed an all-grain Surly Bender clone pitched yeast 38 hours ago. I finally see the airlock bubble every 40-60 seconds however there is no krosen. Should I re-pitch? I saw no airlock movement at 30 hours.

OG 1.056
I mashed at 151.
I pitched at 68 and the ferment is in my basement which is at 67.

Personally I like to be colder. Below 65

I used Wyeast 1335 British Ale II, no starter when I smacked the pack only one nutrient bag broke open and the package swelled some but not a ton.

What is the date on the package and how long before pitching did you smack it? I’ve only seen on nutrient bag.

I have some dry saf-05 that I could pitch but that’s it and the nearest homebrew store is 1.5 hours away.

What should I do?

RDWHAHB. [/quote]

You really should have made a starter, but you’ll probably be fine. Did you aerate the wort before you pitched? This aids in yeast reproduction and gives shorter lag.

The only point of those little nutrient packets in the smack packs is to proof the yeast. I’ve had them fail to break properly when I smack them lots of times. The fact that it swelled at all shows that it was at least partially viable.

Give it time. If you’re not at least starting to get some Krausen in another day or so pitch a couple dry yeast packets. Unless your sanitation was bad your beer will be fine.

Well turns out I just need to be patient. Good Krausen now and the airlock is bubbling every second or two. thanks guys!