Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Dead Ringer IPA

Christmas gift from my son was a starter kit and extract recipe kits for Irish Red Ale and the Dead Ringer IPA. I have the Irish Ale in primary now and so far, so good. I am going to start the IPA as soon as the equipment is free. I would like to lower the alcohol content of the IPA to 4.5% or so and would appreciate any suggestions on how to do that without completely loosing the flavor profile. I wonder about cutting back on the 9.15 lbs. of Gold malt syrup that’s in the recipe but would have no idea how much to cut.

The easiest way to calculate this is to use some brewing software, like BeerTools Pro, Promash, or something similar. You can go on hopville.com and use their recipe builder. Play around with the site and you can get your estimated ABV down, likely by what you say, dropping the light malt syrup.

With an IPA though (or any beer), you want to make sure you are keeping your BU:GU ratio the same when messing with the recipe. For example, if the Two Hearted kit estimates:

-IBU’s of 100,
-original gravity of 1.060

your BU: GU ratio would be 100/60, or 1.667 (above 1.0 is pretty bitter)

mess with the recipe to get it to your desired abv, then mess with the hop additions to get to your desired bittering units (in this case, IBUs)

So, if to finish @ 4.5% abv, you need to adjust your gravity to 1.045, to maintain a BU:GU ratio of 1.667, you need to get to IBUs of 75 (1.667*45, your new OG). You will need to mess with the different hop additions to get here, but I would suggest starting by cutting the 60 minute hops in half.

Clear as mud?

Scaling it as such should keep everything intact with the ABV around 5%…that’s with an FG of 1.013.

12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 9.9 %
6 lbs 13.8 oz Gold Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 2 90.1 %
0.80 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 24.0 IBUs
0.80 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 14.6 IBUs
1.60 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 9.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 6 -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Sorry you actually asked for 4.5%…this is a bit closer to that!! :cheers:

11.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 9.9 %
6 lbs 5.0 oz Gold Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 2 90.1 %
0.76 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 24.0 IBUs
0.76 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 14.6 IBUs
1.52 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 9.6 IBUs

I would also throw the leftover boil hops into the dry hop…so that would make the dry hop roughly 2 oz.

[quote=“dsidab81”]Sorry you actually asked for 4.5%…this is a bit closer to that!! :cheers:

11.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 9.9 %
6 lbs 5.0 oz Gold Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 2 90.1 %
0.76 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 24.0 IBUs
0.76 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 14.6 IBUs
1.52 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 9.6 IBUs

I would also throw the leftover boil hops into the dry hop…so that would make the dry hop roughly 2 oz.[/quote]

this is such an easier-to-read and more useful answer than mine.

Thanks for the responses. I’ll educate myself in the next couple of weeks and follow your suggestions.

No problem, Pietro…you actually explained the changes. I figured most new brewers wouldn’t have beersmith or equivalent yet, and I’d do the conversions for him!!
It always helps to understand the math/reasoning why.

[quote=“dsidab81”]No problem, Pietro…you actually explained the changes. I figured most new brewers wouldn’t have beersmith or equivalent yet, and I’d do the conversions for him!!
It always helps to understand the math/reasoning why.[/quote]

+1 I just learned a lot. Now that I have 10 beers under my belt I have been looking to start playing with brews and now I know how changing the og will change the IBUs. (something I knew in the back of my head but went wow i did not think of that) :oops:

I got around to brewing this today. OG was 1.043 at 65.5 degrees. Assuming I get a good fermentation I’d say your recommendations were right on target. The aroma of the wort is great.

Thanks.

Qbrew is free program to help adjust recipes. Not as full featured as the paid programs. But it does a good job.

I’m going to learn to adjust recipes before my next batch so I’ll take a look at different programs. I’m okay with buying one but want to learn the principles first. I have to limit my alcohol consumption which keeps me from being able to enjoy lots of beers that I like.

I decided today to move my modified version of Dead Ringer to secondary just for the convenience of simple addition of the dry hops in a couple of weeks. I got two gravity readings of 1.007 at 58.8 deg. I was surprised that it was that low. It was in primary for two weeks at 58 to 60 degrees ambient. I think that works out to around 4.65% ABV which is pretty close to my goal of 4.5%. It’s pretty darn good for flat beer. I think the dry hops will make it even better.

Thanks for the help.

The more posts I read here the more certain I was that the FG that I got when I moved this to secondary couldn’t be right. So, I checked my hydrometer and it was way off. I decided to buy a higher quality hydrometer which checked “dead on” at 60*. I bottled the adjusted recipe today, so I rechecked the gravity before I primed and it was 1.012 at 44*. I figure the ABV is around 4.3% which is perfect for me. I sampled a little and am very pleased with the results.

I have learned a lot from everyone here and am now as hooked as the rest of you.

I topped this just to say thank you to everyone on this forum that helped me directly or indirectly over the past couple of years. I read the forum regularly, althoug, as you can see, my posts are few.

The Dead Ringer was my third batch and I’ve now finished 24 batches. They are:

Irish Red
US Minnow Mild
Half Hearted Ale (last kit)
Robust, touch of wheat, Porter (last all extract)
Redcoat Best Bitter (first partial mash)
Ryeghteous American Ale
American Blond Cream Ale
Redbone American Brown Ale
Agave Kolsch
Old Course Scottish 80/- Ale
Palisades SkyRYEde Rye PA
Billingsgate Wharf London Porter
Ardennes Belgian Blonde Ale
Wicklow Mountains Irish Stout
American Blond Cream Ale II
Ying Ling Traditional Lager (first lager)
Brandling Main Newcastle Mild
Brauhaus Hund Bavarian Marzen
Azacca Tropical Pale Ale
Orange Blossom Summer Wheat
Fooler’s ESB
Patton’s Salute Czech Pilsner
Bolton Strid Daredevil Nut Brown Ale
St. Pat.’s Pagan Persuader Irish Red

All are 5 gallon batches and the partial mash provides about 2/3 of the recipes gravity. I can do a 4 gallon boil in my kitchen so I have no plans to go to all grain. It pretty easy this way and I am happy with the results.

Thanks to all here who helped me develop a new and creative hobby. Plus, there’s the beer.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com