Day 23 - Bottling Day

Very little chance of oxidation when bottling. The conditioning will scrub the O2 in the head space. The oxidation risk comes when racking to the bottling bucket.

I have never used the O2 absorbing caps or any other O2 absorbing stuff. Kind of sounded like snake oil to me but people do swear by it. I use regular caps right out of the bag the few times I bottle. So far so good.

You would think that any O2 based sanitizer would be a bad idea with them.

O2 absorbing caps is all they sell around here. Cheap insurance I guess

1 Like

same

The manufacturer does state that you shouldnā€™t sanitize or soak them in cleaning/sanitizing liquid. It does affect the O2 absorption properties. But, that said I did sanitize mine.
Iā€™ll admit I bought them out of ignorance with regards to O2 absorption. These were on sale for a gross (144 caps for those counting). I did read about it later and thatā€™s when I read not to wet them or soak in cleaner/sanitizer. Oh wellā€¦ As they say ignorance is bliss.

i soak them as well in starsan

2 Likes

I just give them a quick dunk in the star san. Just enough to get them wet.

I wouldnā€™t soak them alert them dry. I just dip them and set them on top. Maybe does something maybe not.

Hey @brew_cat why do you have to alert them when they are dry? :grinning: Think you got auto corrected.

1 Like

@olanwade, Iā€™m jealous of your nice, clean, organized basement! Despite thatā€¦the first thing I noticed in your picture was the sun shining on the carboy. Maybe Iā€™m being paranoid but, I never let my beer get exposed to the sun, even for a few minutes. Since I donā€™t know how fast the sun can skunk a beer, I go with a zero-tolerance policy just to be safe.

2 Likes

I completely agree with you! Of those million different ways you speak of, most are about the Art of Homebrewing. Basically I think ā€¦I assume [Y]ā€¦I do [Z] to make better beer. My reply to the sun shining on your carboy fall into this category. Very little of what you read on the forums are cardinal rulesā€¦such as donā€™t throw yeast into hot wort or donā€™t drop your glass carboy on the basement floor!

Itā€™s actually a halogen lamp I have to give some additional lighting. I wish I had a basement, but not to many of those here in AZ. I use my garage for my brewing efforts. I store my fermentation bucket or carboy in the guest room closet, along with my stack of bottles (both full and empty).
I like the garage. I put my tunes on, sit back, and do my thing. If I spill, so what Iā€™ll clean it up later (usually sweep/hose it out the garage door).

1 Like

Well. Thatā€™s different. Nevermind.

1 Like