Dark night Tangerine Porter

I have some questions regarding the all grain recipe for Dark Night Tangerine Porter (see recipe below).

1. My wife is very allergic to wheat, so what would you recommend replacing the 2lbs of unmalted flaked wheat with?
  2. Depending on what I replace it with, would it still be necessary to mix that new ingredient with the other 2 listed for 15 minute at 150 deg, followed by boiling for 10 minutes?
  3. Recipe calls for the other grains to have a protean rest and then brought up to 154 before you mix in the boiled grains.
    What temp would you recommend the protean rest, and for how long?
    Second, is he saying that I want to aim for 154 (up from the protean rest temp) by the adding of the boiling mash?

Dark Night Tangerine Porter
Ingredients
• For 5 gallons (19 L)
4 lb (1.8 kg) Munich malt
3 lb (1.4 kg) Lager malt (US 6-row if possible)
2 lb (.9 kg) Flaked wheat (unmalted soft red wheat flakes if possible)
1 lb (.45 kg) Flaked oats
.75 lb (340 g) Cara Munich malt
.5 lb (227 g) Black Patent malt
.25 lb (113 g) Special B malt
.25 lb (113 g) Rice hulls (added to the mash)
.5 oz (14 g) Northern Brewer hops (7% Alpha Acid (90 min)
.25 oz (7 g) Styrian Golding hops, 5.5% Alpha Acid (30 min)
.5 oz (14 g) Northern Brewer hops, 7% Alpha Acid (30 min)
.5 oz (14 g) Styrian Golding hops, 5.5% Alpha Acid (15 min)
zest Zest of 1 tangerine
1 oz (28 g) Crushed coriander
.5 tsp (2 g) Ground Star Anise
1 packet Wyeast 1214 Belgian Ale Yeast (or substitute any Belgian ale yeast)
Specifications
• Original Gravity: 1.060
• Final Gravity: 1.012
• ABV: 6.3%
• IBU: 31
• SRM: n/a
• Boil Time: 90 minutes
• Efficiency: n/a
• Pre-boil Volume: n/a
• Pre-boil Gravity: n/a
Directions
Mix the flaked oats and flaked wheat with 1 lb of lager malt and mash in for 15 minutes at 150° F (65.5° C), then raise to a boil and maintain for 10 minutes. Have the other grains at protein rest, and raise to mash at 154° F (68° C) when you add the boiling unmalted grain to the main mash. Continue for 30-40 minutes, then mash out at 170° F (77° F), and maintain at least 165° F (74° C) during spargeing to keep the starch liquefied.
Collect enough run off to have 5 gallons of wort after a 90 minute boil. Bring the wort to a boil and add .5 oz (14 g) of Northern Brewer hops. After 60 minutes, add .25 oz (7 g) of Styrian Golding hops and .5 oz (14 g) of Northern Brewer hops. After 15 more minutes add .5 oz (14 g) of Styrian Golding hops. At the end of the boil, add the zest of 1 tangerine, 1 oz (28 g) coriander, and .5 tsp (2 g) ground star anise. Cool the wort and aerate it a proper amount then pitch your yeast. The beer will reach maturation in 2 to 4 months.

Replace the wheat with quinoa or Sorghum Extract syrup during the boil, mash at 154 from the start, skip the protein rest.

Boil the quinoa to gelatinize the starches before mashing.

http://mashbang.wordpress.com/2012/06/2 ... a-in-beer/

You could also use corn, rice, amaranth, millet, quinoa, sorghum or teff.

Though none will have exactly the same effect as unmalted wheat.

Thanks for the advice.
So if I’m skipping the protean rest and mashing that separate group at 154 from the start, I assume I need to cool down the boiling grains mash before I add them to the 154 degree mash. Correct?

Yes.

couldn’t he just up the amount of flaked oats? Is flaked wheat very fermentable? I would think adding one of the non-gluten grains would bump up the gravity of this beer.

I guess I’m just not sure if flaked wheat provides anything else to a beer other than some ‘slickness’ and increased body.

[quote=“Pietro”]couldn’t he just up the amount of flaked oats? Is flaked wheat very fermentable? I would think adding one of the non-gluten grains would bump up the gravity of this beer.

I guess I’m just not sure if flaked wheat provides anything else to a beer other than some ‘slickness’ and increased body.[/quote]

Might as well use Chit Malt then, as too many oats gives the beer an unnatural slickness, IMHO.

If you can find Chit Malt, I’m not sure that even the big online guys carry it anymore.

Ok, last question.
I decided to replace the flaked wheat with flaked barley since my wife is only sensitive to wheat (she doesn’t need it to be gluten free).

Info from Briess says “Grain adjuncts require mashing. Flaked adjuncts are pre-gelatinized, require no pre-cooking, and can be added directly to the mash”

…so why does the recipe call for boiling the flaked grains prior to adding them to the mash? What does that accomplish, and is it really necessary?

I will let someone else chime in, but I believe flaked barley is pre-gelatinized and does not require a cereal mash.

Flaked grains do not require a cereal mash.

Boiling the mini-mash, as indicated in the recipe, is meant to allow you to raise the temperature of the main mash to 154F. A decoction of sorts.

The recipe’s intent is to get some of the unconverted wheat starches into the mash and propagate them through to the boil by doing a mash out.

It may not be worth following the times and temps exactly as indicated in the recipe, instead - just mash everything together @154F. That’s not the intent of the recipe but it’s close enough for government work.

Thanks Bitter. That was my thinking too. Just wanted to get some confirmation.