Dare I All-Grain or stick with Extract?

[quote=“dobe12”][quote=“ickyfoot”]It’s true AG takes longer, but there are a lot of little stretches of downtime, such as during the mash, and I’ve increasingly optimized this time to clean up from the last brew activity, prepare for the next one, take care of extra-brewing activities (make/clean up lunch for the family, read some homework, etc). Of course, it took a few batches of running around like a chicken with its head cut off before I was able to refine the process and use downtime in a relaxed way :wink: .

Anyway, I did 4 batches of extract before switching to AG, and I’ve never looked back.[/quote]

This couldn’t be more true. I use the time while my sparge water heats to weigh out hops and get all my additives, equipment, etc lined up and ready to go. I then use the 60min mash to take care of things around the house or play with my son. Then while boiling, I can clean up from the mash. And again, while cooling, I clean up from the boil. If I use my time effectively, I can get my brew day down to about 4hrs or so.[/quote]

I se the downtime to do laundry, clean the bathroom, vacuum the house…amazing how it can change your wife’s attitude about brewing!

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“dobe12”][quote=“ickyfoot”]It’s true AG takes longer, but there are a lot of little stretches of downtime, such as during the mash, and I’ve increasingly optimized this time to clean up from the last brew activity, prepare for the next one, take care of extra-brewing activities (make/clean up lunch for the family, read some homework, etc). Of course, it took a few batches of running around like a chicken with its head cut off before I was able to refine the process and use downtime in a relaxed way :wink: .

Anyway, I did 4 batches of extract before switching to AG, and I’ve never looked back.[/quote]

This couldn’t be more true. I use the time while my sparge water heats to weigh out hops and get all my additives, equipment, etc lined up and ready to go. I then use the 60min mash to take care of things around the house or play with my son. Then while boiling, I can clean up from the mash. And again, while cooling, I clean up from the boil. If I use my time effectively, I can get my brew day down to about 4hrs or so.[/quote]

I se the downtime to do laundry, clean the bathroom, vacuum the house…amazing how it can change your wife’s attitude about brewing![/quote]

Indeed! Likewise, having all gear cleaned and put away at the end of brew day, which is much more likely when I clean as I go.

Of course, my wife got me into this mess (she bought me a kit for Xmas 2011, totally on a whim. I’d never even remotely considered brewing before that), so she’s unlikely to ever get too upset about it :wink: .

I work 12 hr shifts and thus have a lot of off days. I utilize an off day to brew. I start early and have a plan. I stay on schedule and clean and put away as I go. That makes a great, successful brew day. Once you go full volume boil, why not go AG? I have as much equipment to clean up either way. The time is not that much of an issue with me. I have to dedicate a day to brewing so there.

6 degrees and I agrees
[/quote]

Sung in Elmer Fudd’s voice: “With my spoon and magic helmet!”

I’ve been brewing for about 3 years now and about about a year and half ago switched to AG brewing. AG definitely made my beer better. BUT I think that was more about focusing on attention to detail vs AG being better. It wasn’t the biggest deal if my beer only came out ok if I spent 1 or 1 1/2 making an extract batch but when I spend 1/2 a day on an AG batch I want that beer to be great. Also with more steps I certainly have to focus more. Since moving to AG I still do an extract batch a couple times a year and the beers always come out great, much better than they did before I moved to AG. I think doing AG in general helps increase your brew knowledge, forces you to think about be consistent, and well is just a lot more fun :smiley:

I just did my first AG batch last Sunday. I had 2 extract batches under my belt before jumping in.

I really only added about 2 hours to my brew day and like many have said, lots of that is downtime during mash and sparge water heating.

I currently brew in the kitchen but want to get a rig set up for outside in either a shed or garage…whenever we build one!

It was a bit scary at first but it went well. I kept this batch simple, one hops IPA.

Jump in!

My opinion only. If you like the process, AG can really satisfiy a creativity itch. I don’t know how to say this, but here goes, I enjoy beer, and I enjoy sharing the finished product, but my real passion is in the process. A friend of mine once told me “Brewing is just the right combination of magic and science to be really fascinating”. I think that kind of sums it up for me.

I do BIAB and only rarely do extract or partials but except in the summer when my tap water is warm, I can get it all done in 4 hours…4 1/2 max.
First, I crush my grains and set the water out the night before I brew. So I can get it, get the water to temp and get going. But, as has been said, there’s not much to do while mashing except measure the hops or sanitize the equipment. You have a great deal of that 4 hour time actually doing something else but being glued to the pot.

Oh yeah, and included in that 4 hour period is me mopping the kitchen so SWMBO doesn’t get mad.

Threadjacking a bit, but because this is encouraging. I’ve put extract brewing on hold and am spending $20 a paycheck building an AG system. I’m pretty much ready, but I think I’m going to buy a cheap grain mill so I can buy in bulk to save money… plus, it being the dead of winter, I’m willing to delay another month or so until warmer weather.

Just let grand master Denny show you the way:

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Batch sparging in a converted cooler is easy and doesn’t take much equipment.

+1 on Dennybrew. I got into all-grain with his guide to batch sparging as one of my primary sources of info.

Well, you guys were right. I was making it harder in my head. I made a simple 3 tier system and made a few batches. I quickly fell in love with all grain and decided to up my game and build a real system. I’ve made 3 batches on it so far and have been getting about an 85% efficiency. I still have a few tweaks I want to make but say hello to the new member of the family.
Thanks everyone!

NICE! Love the look of the MT!

So what are we looking at here? I don’t see burners. Is it electric?

Not electric, I just have two floor burners that I have been using for now. I’m waiting on a couple burners that I can mount to the stand. Also saving up the funds for an additional pump. As of now I just raise the hot water tank above the mash and use gravity for sparging.