Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Danstar Belgian Saison Yeast

I brewing a saison this weekend and the brew shop only had the danstar yeast. Has anyone used it, and did you 1 or 2 packets?

It’s a good yeast. It will work with just one packet.

I brewed yesterday and the danstar yeast started working within 2 hours of pitching. I only had 1 packet, and its going like crazy now. So far so good!

[quote=“plumbers brew”]I brewed yesterday and the danstar yeast started working within 2 hours of pitching. I only had 1 packet, and its going like crazy now.[/quote]Did you rehydrate before pitching? Aerate or oxygenate? What was the pitching temp? OG? Just looking for some data points.

Yes I rehydrated 15 mins befo :blah: re pitching @ 90 degrees. Pitch temp was 80 degrees. And OG was 1.069

[quote=“plumbers brew”]Pitch temp was 80 degrees.[/quote]Pitching at that temp would certainly account for the two-hour lag.

Replying from my phone so forgive the misspellings and stuff. 80 degrees not good?

[quote=“plumbers brew”]80 degrees not good?[/quote]Even with a Saison, that often benefits from a higher-temp fermentation, I prefer to pitch in the low 60s and then at least start fermentation around 64F.

I see… I was thanking cool drown to 80 in thee brew pot and getting in to the carboy it would lose a few degrees. The instructions said ferment. Between 68 to 76. It in the basement now which is at 68ball the time this time of year. Hoping I don’t get any off flavors.

I am also currently fermenting with this yeast. I pitched in the low 70s, directly sprinkling the dry yeast on the wort. I had activity in 12 hours with the bucket in my chest freezer set at 64. I left it in the freezer for one day and then brought it out to an inside closet that is around 72 degrees. The fermometer is reading 78. How warm is too warm for it? I never let my house get over 75 inside…Thanks.

Dave

[quote=“DaveGY”]I am also currently fermenting with this yeast. I pitched in the low 70s, directly sprinkling the dry yeast on the wort. I had activity in 12 hours with the bucket in my chest freezer set at 64. I left it in the freezer for one day and then brought it out to an inside closet that is around 72 degrees. The fermometer is reading 78. How warm is too warm for it? I never let my house get over 75 inside…Thanks.

Dave[/quote]

Like any yeast, that will be a personal decision. Flavor profiles change with different fermentation temps. I wouldn’t want to go much over 80 if at all possible.

Has anyone figured out the max fermentation temp limits yet? I was going to brew mine in ~72 degree range.

Yeast die off in the 110f range. That would be the maximum temp limit.

The temp needed to produce a beer that meets the needs of your palate is something you will have to find for yourself. :wink:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com