Dank/Piney Black IPA with low roastyness

This would be my first Black IPA attempt, looking for strong dank and piney hop profile and low on the roast flavors from the malt. Using Midnight Wheat as I’ve heard you get low roast from this, liking the idea of some biscuit flavor from the German Vienna.

Any critique welcome! I’m a Brit so excuse the metric! :wink:

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 27.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 34.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 60.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.00 kg Golden Promise (Simpsons) (2.0 SRM) 57.0 %
2.38 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) 34.0 %
0.35 kg Midnight Wheat Malt (744.3 SRM) 5.0 %
0.28 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 4.0 %

11.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 10.8 IBUs
24.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus [11.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 21.7 IBUs
31.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 27.7 IBUs

0.75 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other

63.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
50.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
39.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus [11.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

1.0 pkg San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP090 Yeast)

63.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus [11.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days
63.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days
50.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

Looks like a solid recipe but why the GP or the Vienna for that matter. I would just use 2row in an IPA. IPA is all about the hops. Maybe an English IPA. Just my opinion though since you asked.

thanks for the feedback, well here in UK I guess GP/MO etc are the equivalent of 2-row and GP is the more neutral…we don’t get straight 2-row (unless someone can correct me).

The reason I went with the Vienna is from a Mad Fermentationist recipe (http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/01/vienna-malt-session-ipa-recipe.html) in which he used similar hop profile with predominantly Vienna and apparently turned out well, I guess though this was to give the session beer more flavor which is not needed here, should I stick with 100% GP base malt?

Maybe being a black beer, some malt profile (not roast) might sit well?

He’s English and ‘brewing local’ is why!

Recipe looks real solid to me, though I do agree with Cat, pretty high %age of Vienna when using Golden Promise as your base malt. Its relatively sweet if I understand it. I would personally cut it back to 15-20% of the grist MAXIMUM to get out of the way of the hops, but it depends on what you are going for.

Thanks, I think I’ll cut back that Vienna to 15%.

I use about 20% Vienna in my IPAs with 2 row as the base. I like the extra maltiness and mouth feel i get from it.

Oh, don’t mistake me, I’ve had 100% vienna SMaSH beers with both centennial and citra and they are solid. I just think with his Golden Promise, it may be a bit muddy (fatal flaw of many BIPA’s IMO). Especially if he wants a balance of dank/allium with the malt character. Forgot to mention, Midnight Wheat is a great move for this style.

The old forum had a profile under the posters image that had their location. I know the English IPA is a separate category which I hsvnt brewed yet. Any recommendation

The OP’s grain bill (minus the MW) would actually make a decent one, hopped with Fuggle or my fave, EKG. Maybe 5% C20 or C40 to about 1.065. London III.

So I brewed this on Friday, hit all the numbers…wort tasted good, no roast/acrid flavors. Pungent hop aroma from the fermenter…used these new White Labs Pure Pitch pack, San Diego Super Yeast is a monster…strongest ferment I’ve had yet. Hopefully gets down to 1.010. Will report back with tasting notes.

Pic just before it kicked off…