Danes find 100 year old bottled beer

People are always asking, “how long will my bottled beer be good?”

Ask these Danes!

5 Likes

Then the other story"beer made with whale testicles" … really doesnt sound like anything I will be under taking… Sneezles61

1 Like

Pretty cool story. Every time I remodel a room I put something in the walls.

2 Likes

Every time I do a remodel… I always question the “old saying” they don’t make em like they used to… Thank goodness… :dizzy_face: Sneezles61

1 Like

I’m sure you’ve worked on significantly more projects as I but many of the projects I’ve worked on have much better build quality than the newer things I’ve seen. The items are just more “sturdy.” As I said you may have a better idea than I.

I’ve done some remodeling on structures 200 yrs old some were built well some should have been torn down. Just like now back then there was good craftsman and poor. Stuff built in the 70s tends to be in the poor quality

2 Likes

1970s the 1870s were a bit better

We see some of the “old brick buildings” in Duluth from about the 1860’s and they didn’t have squares … and the way of setting a bottle of whiskey on a hunk of wood for a level… well… there is alot to be desired… Not a fan of plastered walls on brick up here… The condensation turns that into powder… Am I digressing? OK, I’ll tie it into brews… I’m enjoying a fine home brew… hoping my work isn’t frowned upon in a 100 years! :slight_smile: Sneezles61

At the risk of derailing this thread more…

We have tons of quaker built stone homes from the mid 18th and 19th centuries around my area. Even the ones that have been abandoned for some time are mostly intact. It’s surprising how straight the walls are and most of the floors are fairly level if the hand hewn beams are placed close enough together. The quakers were true craftsmen. They were supposed to be “simple people” but a historian showed me how many of them marked thei homes they built somewhere in the foundations so they took pride in their work.

You can tell the difference between the work of the Quakers and the rough stone masons whose houses show their lack of skill and absence of a level or square. Their floors are usually less level since they sometimes used green wood in beams and placed them wider but they’re still cool old buildings.

I think there’s a huge difference in building standards across different regions. In this area the houses constructed prior to 1980 are generally very well built. Homes from the 80s less so…the 90s…ugh…such crap…wide spaced floor joists and wall studs, crappy plumbing, styrofoam exterior sheathing covered with vinyl or aluminum siding, OSB roof sheathing…ugh…i could go on and on…

That’s what drove me to build my own home in 1997. I selected all the trades and subs myself, selected and supplied all materials and watched every nail and screw go in personally. Some of those guys hated me while they were working for me but they respected what I wanted to accomplish. Now 22 years later we’re about to put the place on the market. I’ll miss it but it’s too big for us with the kids grown and I want the equity for our retirement.

1 Like

Ugh the homeowners looking over your shoulder all day. Hope you bought them beer. Coffee and beer and occasionally lunch if you’re going to hang around all day that was the rule on my jobs.

I wasn’t the homeowner. I was their employer and general contractor. :sunglasses:

1 Like

GC wouldn’t hang around probably has a real job

New set of tracks are needed for this derailment!
I’m not opposed to OSB… But stuff being “cob knobbled” together… I’ve been remodeling our house since about 2001… Little bit here and there… This place was really lacking… Imagine… You go to work to build stuff… Then, you come home to build stuff as a hobby… I’m almost done remodeling… Next year I’ll get a big crane over to pick up the garage and move it closer to the house so I can attach them… You know… retirement project…right?:disappointed: Sneezles61

I retired from full time at 55 to many of my own projects to be bothered with work

1 Like

I’ve got lots of “things” to do as well… I’m working to pay health insurance… The cat, Sneezles, needs lotsa cat chow… tuna fish in oil and litter box stuff too! Sneezles61

1 Like