D2 Dark Syrup in a Saison?

[quote=“candleman”]I have been told I was crazy before, and had beers that came out excellent.
This one may be a dud. We’ll see.

I get bored making beer to style every time. (This really isn’t a Saison any way)

I think I will call it Teefklap Red and put it under Belgian Specialty Ales[/quote]

I just have never found combining yeasts to work very well. I have a lot better luck fermenting 2 separate batches with different yeasts and then blending.

That is what I usually do, since I do 10 gallon batches and ferment in carboys. I have done a beer and fermented half of it with a high temp belgian yeast and the other half a lager yeast. Side by side you would never know it was the same beer base.

I really don’t see a big problem with using two yeasts. Its a little wasteful, and as mentioned is unpredictable and unrepeatable. I don’t usually repeat recipes anyway though so that isn’t a real down side. The one observation I’d make, is that saison is going to give you about as much spicy character as the T58 so the latter isn’t really bringing something different to the table.

I don’t think you’re crazy, I just like thinking out loud about unusual recipes. Be sure and let us know if you like this one.

Well it fermented nice. Started at 70 and ramped it up to 80 and it’s down to 1.005. Very spicy flavor in the sample I took, No flavor from the D2 that I could detect but is needs to mellow to truly taste it.

Everybody liked it at the brew club meeting. The peppercorns definitely shine in the flavor, the dark syrup…not at all. If I didn’t mention it, nobody would have known.

This beer got a 39 score at the national homebrew contest, and my Saison d’pepperkorrel & Wijs scored 40.
While these are decent scores, neither of them placed :x

This is interesting. Maybe dark syrup could be used in place of roasted malts for something like an Imperial Red or a Red IPA.

This is interesting. Maybe dark syrup could be used in place of roasted malts for something like an Imperial Red or a Red IPA.[/quote]

It’s got an entirely different flavor to me. No roast at all to my palate. The syrup has rum, raisins, figs…

This is interesting. Maybe dark syrup could be used in place of roasted malts for something like an Imperial Red or a Red IPA.[/quote]

It’s got an entirely different flavor to me. No roast at all to my palate. The syrup has rum, raisins, figs…[/quote]

That’s kind of where I was going. For a style where you’re looking for color without any roast flavor, this may be an option. It sounds like he wasn’t getting a lot of flavor contribution in this beer. Even with something like Carafa I pick up a bit of roastiness even if I’m just using a small amount late in the mash.

Plus, the dark sryrup has the advantage of helping dry things out if you’re looking for that in a big beer.

Sinemar does that, or they have a dry malt product that is similar. And you can add sugar to dry out a beer, I don’t see the need to pay the bucks for D90.

Unless you want the flavor. But just for color, I agree. It’s not worth it.

The Only reason I used D90 was because I had it laying around for 1.5 years and just wanted to use it in something. I think it gave a great color without imparting much flavor at all. Plus it dried it out the beer relatively well and boosted alcohol.

Would I go and buy it to make this beer? Probably not.

I was happy with the results of the experiment and it was completely different that any other Belgian I have made.

saison is such a broad catagory I say go for it, using it for a dark saison may be fine