Cyser Fermentation Question

Hi all,

I just created my first cyser, and generally all seems alright. I combined 3 gallons of fresh/local apple cider with 10 pounds of raw/local honey. I’m leaving it as a 3-4 gallon batch (however many gallons those ingredients combined makes). The OG was around 1.125. I did not heat any of this, but rather added campden tablets to kill off any yeasts or bacteria. 24 hours later, I aerated and added 3 teaspoons of yeast nutrient and one packet of rehydrated Lalvin 47D. 24 hours later I noticed a seeminly weak fermentation. I stirred in another 3 teaspoons of nutrient, stirred. Next morning, weak (but active) fermentation.

I have limited experience making mead/cider/wine but know that the fermentation is less aggressive and takes longer than beer. I’m just concerned that I have a slow, lagging fermentation that might stress out my yeast. I plan to do another nutrient addition to help out. My temp is around 68. Is there any benefit at this point to adding another fresh packet of yeast? Or is there enough in there at this point? I’m happy to just wait and be patient, but I just want to make sure I didn’t set my yeast up for failure. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Mike

Although you posted in a Sake forum :slight_smile: I will try to help you (I make beer, mead and cyser too).

Above 1.080 or so I would use at least 2 sachets of yeast. The sachets are usually 5 grams. I usually pitch 10-15g. Re-hydrate the yeast with some go-ferm added then let it go. Be sure to oxygenate it, every 24-36 hrs for the first 3-5 days. I’d say add another hydrated package of yeast and it should be fine.