Cyser, dry pitched yeast

Hey guys,

So im a bit of a newb at all of this, but I decided to try my hand at a cyser last night. I made the unfortunate mistake of dry pitching the yeast, saw a small amount of airlock activity this morning. Below is what I used

1 Gallon Apple Juice (No preservatives)

2.5# of honey

Safale US-05 Yeast (Full Pack) - I used an ale yeast because I did not want a very dry cyser, please let me know if this was also wrong.

1/2 tsp yeast nutrient.

I put a small amount of apple juice and the honey in a pot, and heated it on the lowest setting possible, just enough to dissolve all the honey in. I then added the honey with the rest of the juice in my carboy, and shaked vigorously (good amount of foam after this). Dry pitched the yeast and put on the airlock.

I have a few questions, most around my choice of yeast, and regarding aeration and adding more yeast nutrient. Should I be airaiting during primary, and adding yeast nutrient per other mead instructions? Or is this different because its a cyser? How often should I be doing this?

Did adding the yeast dry mess up my primary fermentation? Will I need to re-pitch more yeast? How should I hydrate the yeast prior to adding? I see many instructions say to use tap water, but thats not sanitary right?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I hope your water is sanitary if you drink it. How did you aerate?

No one might agree with me, but based on my own experience…

Pitching the yeast dry is just fine. You used a whole pack for the ~1.25 gallons? That is PLENTY. Even if half the yeast is dead, you still have a plenty big pitch for that small volume.

The nutrient addition(s) are good but probably not necessary in my experience, especially if you want a sweeter end product. Nutrients would help the yeast perform a more complete fermentation. So you can safely skip adding any more in my opinion.

I think US-05 will do a great job for you. It might even ferment more dry than you wanted. So everything I said above is reinforced all the more.

My final word of advice: Patience. Be patient because this cyser will probably take a good 6-8 weeks to finish fermenting, and even when you think it’s all done, it might not be. Give it plenty of time… and then when you think it’s done, wait even longer just to be certain.

I wouldn’t fuss over aeration either. Just leave it alone.

Cheers!

1 Like

I have a hard time believing anyone’s city water is completely bacteria free :slight_smile:

Lots and lots of shaking in the carboy!

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

If I did want to add yeast nutrient for the next 1-3 days with aeration to help with the fermentation process, it couldn’t hurt right? I dont mind waiting, but dont want to have a super exaggerated primary fermentation if I can avoid it.

In my humble opinion, most people tend to overthink everything and play with their fermentations too much, when in fact it adds negligible value, and might even be detrimental. Just leave it alone now for a couple months. Like I said, no one probably agrees with me, however I have made many very tasty meads and cysers with my lazy methods.

1 Like

I tend to think Dave is very knowledgable and I enjoy all he brings to the forum, like it or not. When Dave texts, peeps read! I am all for leave it alone, but do look in on it and do take a sample from time to time. Sneezles61

3 Likes

I believe that the lazy brewers make the best beer. This is a process that shouldn’t be rushed IMO

1 Like

Around here, Dave is the guru of cider- I listen to what he says!

3 Likes

Will do! Looked at the carboy last night after I get home and it had definitely picked up some speed. Thanks for the advice Dave, I shall practice my patience with this one.

Cheers,

I appreciate the kind words. However, I would truly encourage you all to search other forums, books, references, and determine what you think works best for you. I am serious when I say that if you look around elsewhere outside of this particular NB forum, pretty much nobody else agrees with my methods. However… don’t be surprised if you get excellent results by being lazy – I mean patient – like I am. People have been making good mead, cider, and beer for thousands of years without adding a bunch of fancy chemicals or unique processes. It’s just that I personally find that the lazy methods work pretty much just as well, and maybe even better!

I don’t follow your method to a tee Dave but I admire your laziness

1 Like

Did follow lots of advise on the forum thanks you all and lots of reading . Think you must be fine just pitch the dry yeast did this before i started with yeast starters . But patience the most important part . In brewing .

Whoa down there Dave, seems what I’ve read, and heard, else where, maybe the brews and such weren’t as good as some seem to think. But, I don’t believe much of anything outside this little forum!:slight_smile: Sneezles61

Well, activity was at a snails pace the first 24 hours. This morning I woke up to foam entering the air lock, caught it just in time and rigged a blow off tube because of the violent fermentation. Things are looking pretty good!