Cut Off The Topper

So came up with this for a “Cut Off the Topper”. 4.4%, 86 IBU. 2 oz. Mosaic for bittering instead of hopshots. Rest of the hops schedule similar to the NB recipe. The first dry hop is after cooling to 180.

Brewed it tonight. 1.042 OG. What a hoppy mess!

1 Like

Your recipe said pellets, but it looks like you used whole cones?

Or Brussels sprouts?

1 Like

Yeah, cones were only for one addition. The LHBS guy’s family grows and sells them so I thought, what the heck… We said it looked like we were making brussels sprout soup too. We figured out near the end of the mash that the thermometer was malfunctioning. Luckily I had a couple of backups. If things go according to Hoyle, this thing will probably be the best we’ve ever made with no way to reproduce it. LOL

1 Like

Oh dear, you forgot to take notes? That is a great way to help reproduce your brew, or, possible to detect a flaw… Maybe still somewhat fresh in your mind so you could put it on paper? Sneezles61

I always take copious notes, sometimes to the amusement of my son. For this brew he was having a devil of a time controlling the temp, or so we thought, but apparently the thermometer was giving out random readings. The late discovery of the thermometer issue is the problem for the repeatability. Unfortunately figured out we were about 10 degrees low (maybe?) with about 10 minutes to go. Raised the temp to our target and mashed for an extra 15 minutes. Just not sure where we were for the first 50 minutes. I gues since the gravity was so close maybe it’s not such a big deal. :grin:

1 Like

The gravity will be the same but the fermentable sugars may be different. You will be able to tell better from the FG. If it ends high your mash temp may have been high, low the opposite. The last 10 min doesn’t matter much anyway. By the way if you cover your mash pot with a blanket or something you should be able to hold your temperatures. Either way I’m sure the beer will turn out fine

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Definitely a good reminder that I need to re-read up on the effects of mash temperatures. I think we were low for the majority.

Update-
Transferred this to the secondary yesterday and gravity is at 1.004/1.006 by hydrometer. ABV calculates out at 4.7% which is about where we wanted it. Tasted the test sample and it’s got some nice flavor. Toying with the idea of bottling half without the last dry hop addition and half with for comparison.

2 Likes

Ended up being lazy and dry hopping the whole thing. Kegged her tonight, put it in the Mancave fridge with 30 psi on it and shook, then unhooked it. I’ll wait a day or so and hook it back up to 10 psi. I am jazzed to get a good glass of this stuff to see if my idea panned out!

1 Like

Update- Forced it. (Yeah, not patient.) This stuff has a really light color and is super hoppy but delicious. Immature so I’m hoping it matures similar to it’s inspiration and mellows out a little and turns into a really well round hoppy brew. I have high hopes!

1 Like

I think this will be my next session beer to brew.

1 Like

Here’s the finished product.

1 Like

I would like a pint of that too!! Sneezles61

I’m rereading this thread this AM and now that I have a little more experience and reading under my belt can appreciate the sugar part of this comment more. Thanks! BTW, we took your other advice and have two blankets dedicated to mashing. Works perfectly. :sunglasses: