Curious, any impact from hops in carboy?

So I brewed up the Rep IPA Saturday during our snowstorm in the afternoon. It was a blast! I ran into several issues with this batch, none of which are insurmountable thankfully. Poor planning on my part had one propane tank blow 40 mins into the boil so I had to get the tank off the grill and I was shaking it like mad for the last 5 mins to keep the gas flowing. :lol: I did manage to complete the boil so all was good. Then I set up to run through my CFC and for the first time, I got a complete jam. I was a bit surprised by this because I have run much bigger hop bills through with no problems. I had about a gallon left in the kettle so I sanitized my funnel and dumped it straight into the carboy. Now I have a bunch of hops in the carboy that normally aren’t there. It’s merrily bubbling away at 65 in my basement. It’s been so cold here recently I have the carboy wrapped in an old spare piece of carpet sitting on a heating pad to keep it warmer than ambient.

I am curious if leaving the hops in the carboy for the two-three weeks I typically primary will have any impact on the beer? Post boil at temp, would they act at all like dry hopping or a hop stand or is it different because they were used in the boil? There are 5 oz of hops in the recipe. This is mostly just curiosity as typically I don’t have many hops make the transfer to the carboy. I plan to transfer it to a keg for dry hopping when it’s ready.

:cheers:
Rad

You may run into issues of clarity, but it shouldn’t be major. You’re not going to get additional bitterness out of them, and very little in terms of flavor. Clearly, minimizing this in fermentation is preferable (otherwise everyone would ferment on the boil hops), but it shouldn’t make a huge difference. One option is to transfer from one fermenter into another after a few hours of letting the hop mass settle.

Thanks for the reply. It’s been 1.5 weeks since brew day and fermentation has slowed down and I would guess is fairly close to complete. I was planning to secondary for 2 weeks, should I transfer it sooner rather than later or let it go until 2 weeks primary like I normally would? Also, I normally would just secondary in a keg but on account of all the hops left in the carboy, I will secondary at least 1 week in a clean carboy before transferring to the keg.

:cheers:
Rad

I usually get a lot of boil hops in the fermentation vessel and haven’t had any negative effects from it, other than a dirtier yeast cake in the end. Lots of people just dump it all in, so I think your original plan would be fine. I wouldn’t do anything differently than you normally do just because of a lot of hop material from the boil.

I dumped the whole contents of my kettle into the carboy for fermentation before I started trying to filter the stuff out. Once I got really lazy and it got too cold outside so I said “oh well” and dumped the entire thing (trub and all, ew). Didn’t really have any issues or strange flavors that I can think of. As stated, maybe some clarity concerns but that can be taken care of with a good cold crash or gelatin.