Cumbrian Double Brown

So, I really like brown ales. I came across the recipe for the Cumbrian Double Brown, and had to make it.

It has A LOT of steeping grains. Over 2 lbs. So many, I decided just to do a partial mash with them. Bad idea? Anyone else done that?

I’ll see in a few weeks…

Nothing wrong with adding a couple pounds of 2row and doing a partial mash.

What is the original and altered recipe?

I’ve made it in the AG it’s good but not super good.
I also used the 1026 yeast that the recipe calls for and you can’t buy that any more so what yeast are you using ?

West Yorkshire 1469.

I did not alter the recipe. Should I have?

OG came out 1.052. The instructions say 1.059. Hmmm. Gravity sample is extremely good.

We’ll see…

I think I see my error. The inventory kit called for “priming sugar” which I took to mean for bottling. However, in the barely adequate online instructions, the sugar is listed as a fermentable.

Hmmm…

I’ve heard of adding priming sugar as the fermentation comes to an end. Think I can do that and be OK, or just let it go and see what happens?

The list of ingredients is here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/cumb … t-kit.html

Right now I would just leave it maybe your on to something.

Looking back I brewed it 5 times changing the base malt but like I said I don’t remember it being an over the top beer, but then again I don’t remember getting up.

In your 1st post you mentioned you did a partial mash. PM’s involve replacing part of the extract with 2row. That why I asked what your recipe was.

Reading the description and recipe, this is a bulk order of ingredients and you measure out what you need. So NB sent you 1lb of corn sugar for priming. Instead of a 5oz packet. Just like they send 1 & 2lb bags of specialty grains even though you only use .33lbs of 3 of them and 1.25 of the last one.

You can reserve 5oz of the sugar for bottling and add the rest to the beer.

I measured out the amount in the instructions (1.25lbs Amber, .33lbs everything else) and just steeped those for an hour at 150F, like a partial mash. I didn’t replace any of the LME with 2 row.

What I missed was they have the sugar listed as a fermentable.
http://legacy.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1831.html
I thought it was for bottle priming originally too, that’s why I didn’t order it. I’ve never seen bottle priming sugar listed as “fermentable”, so I assume now that was supposed to go in the wort as well. That’s why my OG came out 1.052 instead of 1.059. 1lb of sugar, missed OG by ~.007-.008, sounds about right.

Maybe I just need to do this one again? I need some amber malt and 6lbs of goldem LME and I have the rest. This time do it with 1lb of sugar in the boil…

I don’t see NB sending out corn sugar for one of their beers. IMO it is a bulk order of priming sugar. If there was to be more fermentables, they would have included DME.

The only 2 ways to know for sure. Find the original recipe listed some where. Or, call NB as ask.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]I don’t see NB sending out corn sugar for one of their beers. IMO it is a bulk order of priming sugar. If there was to be more fermentables, they would have included DME.

The only 2 ways to know for sure. Find the original recipe listed some where. Or, call NB as ask.[/quote]
I remember this original kit, as I asked Kris England (who wrote it) if it was based on a specific beer. (It wasn’t). The sugar is definitely a fermentable. NB doesn’t help by labeling it as priming sugar, but that’s probably how it is in their product database.

Sugar is used pretty frequently by English brewers, btw.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]I don’t see NB sending out corn sugar for one of their beers. IMO it is a bulk order of priming sugar. If there was to be more fermentables, they would have included DME.

The only 2 ways to know for sure. Find the original recipe listed some where. Or, call NB as ask.[/quote]
The Innkeeper kit comes with 1lb of corn sugar.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta ... keeper.pdf

OK, I contacted NB directly, and the word is the 1lb of sugar IS indeed a fermentable, it is not the bottle priming sugar.

I made a small wort of 1 lb of cane sugar and added it to the carboy. Fermentation began pretty much instantly. Had to put the blowoff tube on it this morning.

Probably will let it sit for 2 more weeks and bottle it up in the beginning of June.

Well, so far I am not terribly impressed with this. I will say that it is entirely possible I screwed it up. I did not add the corn sugar in during the boil. I had foam blowout through the airlock, twice. So it is entirely possible I am 100% to blame for this not turning out that good. So, I am willing to give it a try again later. Perhaps this time with the 1945 Brittania yeast that I like so much. The West Yorkshire yeast seemed finicky to me. Fermentation seeme…sluggish.

I’m a little late to the party, but I have brewed the AG recipe of the recipe with #1469 yeast. It has made the (very short) list of recipes that I would brew again. For me, it was at it’s peak flavor a month after I bottled it.

J