Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Crystal malt, Mash temps, and body - opinions?

So I just brewed a Dead Guy Ale beer last weekend.
I deviated from a recipe somewhat but here’s my question.

It was in the 20’s in my garage and cold as hell.
I missed my mash temp as a result even though I usually can guestimate my strike temp pretty close. This time I was off by about 5 degrees. Typically it’s 15 degrees higher temp strike water than desired mash temp for most of my beers. If it’s colder out and/or I’m using more grains, I’ll go 18 degrees.

Ended up with the mash at about 146 degrees and let it sit for 90 minutes just to be sure. I don’t test for starch.

I use a 5gal cooler mashtun and it was maxed out. No room for boiling infusions.
Didn’t feel like pulling a decoction. It was my second batch for the day and I was getting tired and running out of time.

5gal recipe.

Grist:
10lbs Fawcett Golden Promise
3.0lbs Briess Munich 10L
l.0 lbs Weyermann Carared
.75 lbs Weyermann Caramunich

Now in my opinion, that’s a pretty hefty amount of crystal. HOWEVER my thinking is the lower mash temp for the extended period should have given me a more fermentable wort and compensated for all the dextrins added by the Crystal.

I’ve mashed beers this low in the past and they came out great. As a matter of fact I seem to prefer them particularly when hopped with noble hops or even Willamette.

Is this a typical way to balance the body of a beer with a lot of crystal in the recipe? Either cut it with some sugar or dextrose or mash it low in order to dry it out?

I can just imagine if this would have been mashed at 155 it would be downright chewy.

Thoughts?

The rest of the recipe:

1oz Perle for 90 minutes
1oz Sterling at flameout.

1/4tsp yeast booster and 1 Whirflock tab at 15 min.

Fermentis S05

TIA

You’ve done good. Absolutely, I take the amount of crystal malts into account when figuring out what mash temperature to use. On the other hand, I always mash between 148 and 152 F because I like my beers on the dry side, so it’s a matter of only a few degrees, which probably doesn’t matter anyway. But with 90 minutes at 146 F, I would think this could still be a pretty darn dry beer, even with the crystal malt. Maybe I would have added a little boiling water to bring this up to at least 148 F. But is it really going to matter? I don’t know. You’re might be just fine with the way you left it. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

…and the US-05 is also going to contribute to a lower FG. Cheers!!!

Thanks Guys for the feedback.
Picking up a larger tun for next year so I can add boiling additions to a 14lb or larger grist and have some room to kick up temp.

Carared seems to be much more fermentable than the typical crystal malt.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com