Crushing grains

I got an extract from NB and I’m getting ready to brew and I just remembered that my grains I bought while ago were not crushed.

What is the best way to crush grains. I don’t have a crusher at home. I have a local brew store. Would they crush grains for me if I didn’t buy it from them.

Do you even need to crush them that much in a crusher or can I just use rolling pin or something?

Thanks you very much!!!

I’m replying to my own message with another question.

Once I do get my grains crushed how long can I keep them before brewing.

I thought i read somewhere that you shouldnt crush grains until right before brewing.

I crush a bunch of grains and want to save some for another time, how long do I have before I should use them again>?

Your LHBS should crush them for you even if you didn’t buy them there. Both of mine do, but I also make sure to buy something if only something small. I don’t think it’s right to walk in and ask for a crush of grains that you didn’t buy there and then just leave.

After crushed I’d make sure to use them in the next few weeks or maybe 2-3 months at the most. As long as they’re kept cool and dry. If you have one, use a vacuum sealer.

Pulse small amounts at a time (1/4lb) in a blender or coffee grinder until they are coarse-ground, with pieces of grain about 1/8" or less. It can be more coarse if its just steeping grains, the flavor components will come out. I’ve even steeped uncracked grains but stuff like crystal would definiely be under-utilized. I’d try and avoid a lot of flour since you probably won’t be getting much conversion.

I don’t think I’d have the nerve to go in a homebrew store with someone else’s product and ask to use their crusher, unless I was already a regular customer and knew the people. and even then I wouldn’t do it.

Crushed grain will last a week or more, its losing a little aroma each day but if you keep it tightly sealed and cool it will be OK. I’d only crush right before use though to maximize the aroma.

Since it’s an extract batch, you have maybe a lb or two of specialty grains? As Tom mentioned, a coffee grinder/blender/food processor will work or if you have a marble countertop or a hard cutting board you can use a rolling pin.

I got yelled at years ago before I bought a mill for doing that. I switched to using an old steel thermos until I bought a mill.

I used a coffee grinder for awhile. If you have a hard surface you wont get in trouble for using a 22 oz bottle works as a great rolling pin. Anything more than a lb and your lhbs shouldnt look twice if you want to crush there.

I wouldn’t use your marble counter tops if you have them. Marble is surprisingly soft.

[quote=“dobe12”]Your LHBS should crush them for you even if you didn’t buy them there. Both of mine do, but I also make sure to buy something if only something small. I don’t think it’s right to walk in and ask for a crush of grains that you didn’t buy there and then just leave.

[/quote]

This.

As if one could walk in tho the LHBS and not buy anything…

[quote=“mppatriots”]I wouldn’t use your marble counter tops if you have them. Marble is surprisingly soft.[/quote]I meant to say “granite” not “marble” - don’t know if there’s a difference, but I’ve crushed all kinds of things on granite and never had a problem. By crushing, I mean rolling a rolling pin over them, not hammering down, though.

Yeah granite is much harder and can take much more abuse.

Also, I’ve got one of those $14 Amazon off shore Corona mills. It works just fine for crushing the small bag of specialty grains for an extract batch.