Crushing 1# of grains

I purchased a kit and selected unmilled instead of milled. I do not have any equipment to crush the grains. Any suggestions for such a small quantity?

Assuming it’s an extract kit with grains for steeping, you can try a food processor, or a rolling pin. I’ve tried the rolling pin before, and I don’t recommend it unless you don’t have a food processor.

And if you do have a food processor, remember that literally one or two quick pulses should be plenty to do the job.
In fact, I’d check the grains after only one quick pulse

[quote=“The Professor”]And if you do have a food processor, remember that literally one or two quick pulses should be plenty to do the job.
In fact, I’d check the grains after only one quick pulse[/quote]

As usual, I’m in total agreement with Al. And especially his sig line!

Put it in a gallon freezer ziploc bag, and roll it with a wine bottle.

I pretty routinely use the rolling pin method with specialty grains of about 1 lb or less. Use a gallon ziplock bag, and roll in multiple directions, flip the bag over and repeat. I wouldn’t want to do it for large quantities, but for small ones it’s OK.

Thanks all it is specialty grains for an extract. I was thinking both the rolling pin and a quick run in food processor. Good to know I wasn’t to far off.

Boy, I don’t know about the food processor…

About fifteen years ago it became fashionable to run your black grains in a food processor or coffee mill, then dump them into the mash tun shortly before mashout.

I gave this process a few tries and found it to be a pain in the posterior. A few short pulses left some husk debris statically clinging to the plastic, a few more pulses left more. Mostly, I was left with the bulk of my grain dizzy but unscathed while a few victims were atomized and statically pasted to the plastic walls. I tried the various speeds, I even resorted to shaking the contraption while administering short pulses. At the end of the day, centrifugal force is really, really hard to overcome.

I used to use a coffee grinder for this. It took 5-6 batches to process a pound. For each batch, a couple of short pulses would do the job, overdo it really, and I wouldn’t recommend this without a muslin bag to contain the grain in for the steep.

Two tips if you decide to go the rolling pin route:

Put it at table height (not counter height) so you can lean into it.

Put it on a pizza stone or square of leftover floor tile if yup have one. The hart surface helps.

Two tips if you decide to go the rolling pin route:

Put it at table height (not counter height) so you can lean into it.

Put it on a pizza stone or square of leftover floor tile if yup have one. The hart surface helps.

Having tried the rolling pin thing myself, I’d recommend trying the food processor route. Especially if your rolling pin is made out of wood. It’s like trying to crush a bunch of small pebbles. Dark roasted grains may be easier to do, but Crystal malts are a PITA.

I put about a half-pound of pils malt in a blender, and in seconds it nearly turned it into flour. I was only doing that for steeping and it didn’t seem to cause too many problems, the brew was dark enough that I probably couldn’t have detected any additional astringency.

Probably wouldn’t do a full mash with it though.

[quote=“twdjr1”]I put about a half-pound of pils malt in a blender, and in seconds it nearly turned it into flour. I was only doing that for steeping and it didn’t seem to cause too many problems, the brew was dark enough that I probably couldn’t have detected any additional astringency.

Probably wouldn’t do a full mash with it though.[/quote]

A blender could work, but like the food processor you should only pulse it quickly…not “run” it