Critique my IPA recipe

Hello all, I’m going to brew a recipe that I’ve made several times and really enjoy, but I have changed it a little bit to include hopstand/whirlpool hopping since I just got a new whirlpool set up on my chiller. I would love some suggestions or opinions. Specifically, I don’t know the amounts that people usually whirlpool with, also I don’t know if the flameout hops are necessary since I will be cooling quickly to 175 and then dumping in a bunch more hops? Also, the flameout hops and the whirlpool hops do not contribute to the IBU totals given below. Thanks

Batch Size: 5.85 gal
Style: American IPA (14B)
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Color: 6.2 SRM
Bitterness: 65.8 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.065
Est FG: 1.012
ABV: 6.9%
Mash 60 @ 152

12 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
5.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.8 oz Chinook [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 15 min
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 7 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 7 min
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 0 min
0.5 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 0 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 0 min
At flameout, cool quickly to 175 and then whirlpool hop for 30 minutes:
2.5 oz Centennial - whirlpool hop for 30 min
1.0 oz Chinook - whirlpool hop for 30 min
0.5 oz Columbus - whirlpool hop for 30 min
Starter American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
2.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop
1.0 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Dry Hop

Looks good to me. My only personal preference is that I don’t particularly like Columbus (and to a lesser extent, Chinook), in the mid-boil flavor additions. If it were me, I’d make the 7 min addition all Centennial. But that’s a preference thing, not a good-or-bad thing.

Lots of guys on here that make more, and likely better IPAs than me but here’s my 2 cents.

I’m not a big fan of Chinook either but as stated above that should be based on your preference and what you want from the beer.

I didn’t plug this into beersmith so not sure what the bittering charge is giving you but I bitter(60 min- .5ounce magnum) to about 26 IBU in my 1.060ish IPA that eventually gets a total of about 70 IBU. I don’t like my IPA excessively bitter. I like to focus on the flavor and aroma hops.

If I were doing this beer I’d probably move the 30 minute hops to FWH and all the other late additions to the whirlpool. When you add your whirlpool/HS hops depends on what you want from them. If you want a little more bittering then add them at FO, if you want more flavor/aroma then after the 180/175 mark. I start my hop stand after 170. The theory I subscribe to is flavor from HS, aroma from DH.

There are tons of threads regarding HS but here’s a link to an article on BYO that helped me design my current approach.

https://byo.com/component/k2/item/2808-hop-stands

Re-read my post and I wanted to clarify one thing. I do like Columbus as an aroma or dry hop, and I like Chinook as both a bittering hop and a finishing hop. I just find with mid-boil additions they can get out of hand too easily.

Cool thanks for the advice

Just an update, I really love this beer, it’s probably my best IPA that I’ve made. Thanks for the advice.

Just reviewed the thread. Sounds like a great beer. Did you follow through on your originally posted recipe or modify somewhat based on the suggestions you recieved here?
Jerry

The only thing i changed was I did not dry hop this beer. I wanted to see what kind of flavor and aroma I got from my first whirlpool without dry Hopping. It turned out to have more flavor and aroma that any of my previous IPAs that I did dry hop. I really like the technique of whirlpool. Everyone’s tastes are different but this beer has what I perceive as a perfect blend of citrus and Pine. As a matter of fact I am going to brew the same recipe this Saturday except I am using El Dorado hops instead of Chinook just for a change to see what El Dorado is like.

I love it when folks come back and update their thread after brewed and tell us how it turned out. Glad it turned out to your liking, it does look like something I’d like to drink.

I’ve never combined Columbus with Chinnook before, that is interesting. I have always kinda thought it was an either/or thing with those two, so it is good to hear that a combo can work.

Also interesting that you got good aroma from the whirlpool. It has been my experience that the whirlpool has given me great flavor but almost no aroma. I have found dry hopping to be even more essential in IPAs that are whirlpooled. Maybe I need to refine my technique somehow,…

I am with Trapae, whirlpooling/hopstand adds plenty of aroma and dry hop is not really necessary. Surprisingly, just a single large hopstand does a great job of bittering, flavor and aroma.

Not saying dry hop isn’t necessary, just saying that for my tastes there was plenty of aroma with Whirlpooling. I know many people would cry blasphemy for not dry hopping in IPA. The other thing I noticed was that the beer did not change significantly over the months. Other IPAs that I have done with dry hopping started out to be one beer and after the dry hop faded, tasted completely different. I personally like consistency but that’s just me. I will probably change my mind next year. Fun experiments though.

Oops, didn’t mean to put words into your mouth trapae…

My experience is that a drop temp hopstand will provide more aroma than flavor and pretty much negates the need to dry hop. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111338
Since then, I’ve grown to like a 15m addition with a heavy hop stand (30m stirred high temp) and a dry hop. Something like 2oz, 8oz, 2oz.