Creative Ways to Split 10 Gallons Anyone?

So how do you take a 10-gallon batch and split it into 2 different beers? I did it only one time and used a Belgian Yeast in one and US-05 in the other and to my surprise I made 2 very nice light ales. Has anyone played with hop teas or something else to make bitterness or aromatic distinctions? Did you split into two fermenters first? Did you ferment the whole 10gal’s w/ one yeast and then split into secondaries? Dry hops? Teas? Any interesting and creative processes out there?

ONe time I did a mash and sparge for a 10 gallon batch, but had a buddy bring his kettle and burner over to make two beers with the same wort, but each kept our hop additions and yest strains secret. When they were done we tried to guess the others ingredient choices.

I have done the two yeast thing before. But my most memorable split was a batch of stout I did. It was basically a less bitter variation of a dry stout, but with a little chocolate malt and a little less roast barley. Near the end of the boil I added a load of Coco powder. One of the fermenters I left as is, To the other (in the secondary) I added some chocolate and vanilla extract. Unfortunately, when I calculated the amound, I did it for the entire 10 gal batch - not for the 5 gal that it was going into. Of course the base for stout this was the best stout I have so far made, but the extract version was so overpowering it wads undrinkable.

Anyone made hop tea additions?

I only make 5 gallon batches. But oaking one batch and leaving the other as is, would be something I would enjoy playing with.

That’s not a bad idea. After some searching, the popular concensus on hop tea is that it’s “vegetal, earthy” not pleasant…

I like the idea of oak, maybe do a brown ale, something that can handle a woody flavor. Then do the other batch with dried fruits or as Dobe or Denny do, carmelize the fruit…

Split and ferment with two different yeasts
dry hop with two different hops

Different secondary additions
I have 12 gallons of oatmeal stout that will be split and get different secondary additions.
2 gallons each:
Cocoa Nibs
Vanilla
Bourbon
Cranberries
Coffee
Unadulterated

You could make a pale ale base, steep some roasted grains on the side and boil that wort separately (with or without hops), then add the side boil to one fermenter to make a stout or a brown, even a Black IPA. Or just use some DME and steeping grains, a bunch of hops, do a side boil and turn one APA fermenter into an IPA.

@ Gregscu: SIX secondary vessles with SIX different flavorings?? HOLY Brewing extravaganza!!!

THIS!!!

SIDE NOTE: I have one of the heavy duty Bayou burners, a keggle and lid and man it takes a very long time to get 9-10 gallons of wort to boil; 45-minutes after second runnings… Is this about average???

One way I fix this is by starting the burner about 5 minutes before I start my second runnings. That way the first runnings are gathering heat and you have a higher starting point when your second runnings get in there.

I do this too… Brewing = PATIENCE in all aspects of the process.

Seems that way. I take about 4.5 hours the full brew day. I start at 12 with a buddy on saturdays. We cook up ribs or whatever and have homebrewed beers. The way I see it is take my time, enjoy the process, and be done in time for a sweet dinner with his wife and my girlfriend. Makes for a good saturday.

I bought a few of these some time ago. IIRC they were only $4.99 each at the time.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/2-ga ... entor.html

The small secondaries really give you a chance to experiment without risking a lot of time or beer.

Partigyle is another method. You can boost the second runnings with some DME in the separate boil, if you want two bigger beers.

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]Partigyle is another method. You can boost the second runnings with some DME in the separate boil, if you want two bigger beers.[/quote]+1 to partigyling (if the OP is able to do two boils rather than splitting one boil between two fermenters).

I guess anything is possible and within stretching the limits of “me” time on a Saturday or Sunday with gorgeous wife and 8-year old son :roll:

Double boil batch = add’l 2-3 hours to brew day. Don’t get me wrong, I’m game. I need a mother and son weekend getaway huh…

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Double boil batch = add’l 2-3 hours to brew day.[/quote]The smaller batches will shave some time throughout the process, particularly on getting water to heat and the wort to a boil, plus the second batch is mashing while you boil the first. If you were to try a 30-minute boil for the first batch, maybe do a moderate-gravity IPA with a big FWH load and lots of late additions and then do a rapid chill, you would only add maybe 90 minutes to the brew day.

Good ideas Shade. 30 min boil?