Creating Off Flavors after Primary

Both of those batches look wrong you should send them both to me for analysis.:wink:

1 Like

Working out the logistics for a fermentation room Voodoo…
Have not told the wife yet.

1 Like

Likely the cause:
1.) Heavy Hopping
2.) Major Oxidation

They both look good… So right there, your past DA rest? I just think of a vent for CO2… But then perhaps the BMB won’t seal that tight and will allow some off gassing…
Transferring with CO2 was one of my objectives a while ago, and all those gizmos I made to help when using a better bottle, well, it did help… But the best move was an Anvil SS bucket… Soldiered a spud on top so I can use different fittings. Works like a charm. Sneezles61

After 2 weeks in primary,
Not much CO2 is being released anymore.

I used CO2 to push the beer out of Primary and into Secondary to rule out Oxidation.
It actually is a very much easier process than using an Auto-Siphon so I will stick with that method moving forward.

I flooded the receiving vessels with CO2 first.
Pretty sure these will turn out good. I will know on the weekend.
Looking forward to tasting the 2nd vessel dry hopped with my backyard Chinook.

I am also testing SS CAN for hops vs. Nylon Bag.

I am tempted to brew 10 more gallons this weekend to back these up then turn my attention to changing brakes on two cars over the next few weeks.
&;-(

1 Like

Sad you can’t brew every W/E… Well, I shouldn’t say nuttin’… As I don’t either… I like the idea that you are aware and have notes to help you… You can ask alot of questions… and that helps… but being able to review notes… priceless… Sneezles61

I think I am past this problem.
I paid no attention to Oxidation on that particular batch.
I have started the practice of moving beer from Primary to Secondary (for dry hopping) using CO2 pressure.
You don’t have to worry about that so much on Primary as CO2 is created during the fermentation process.

2 Likes

Good to hear. My recent Plinian Legacy I moved from primary to purged Keg/with Dry hop #2 in a hop bag tethered @halfway up dip out with CO2, my first attempt at this. Went fairly well but I didn’t have a tight enough seal on the carboy cap…had to really lean on that during the whole process. I plan to use an adjustable clamp I got at a plumbing store that should fix that…For some reason the carboy cap(supposed to fit 5-6.5 G glass carboys) kept popping loose on my 6 gallon glass carboy. I had one tired set of arms wrestling with that problem. Zip tie did just that, zip. Always kept at just 2psi…