Creating a mash screen for use in batch sparging

Hi folks!

I’ve got a five-gallon round Rubbermaid cooler that I want to use as a mash tun in batch sparge all grain brewing. My idea includes using the steel casing from a washing machine connector tube for the screen. I’ve heard of people doing that before, so I thought I’d try it, but I’m having a difficult time actually getting the steel casing off. It’s loose on both ends for about a half inch, but I don’t get much movement past that.

Any advice on how to get that scree off, or other ways I may want to make a screen? Thanks for any feedback!

[quote=“KorbenDallas”]Hi folks!

I’ve got a five-gallon round Rubbermaid cooler that I want to use as a mash tun in batch sparge all grain brewing. My idea includes using the steel casing from a washing machine connector tube for the screen. I’ve heard of people doing that before, so I thought I’d try it, but I’m having a difficult time actually getting the steel casing off. It’s loose on both ends for about a half inch, but I don’t get much movement past that.

Any advice on how to get that scree off, or other ways I may want to make a screen? Thanks for any feedback![/quote]

When I made a braid connection, I purchased new and used a snips to cut off the connector on each end, cutting through a portion of the braid in the process. Then I used a couple needle-nose pliers to remove the braid from the inner hose, mostly to avoid pricking myself with the sharp ends of the cut braid.

It is like a set of Chinese fingers. You have to “inch” them off.

[quote=“KorbenDallas”]Hi folks!

Any advice on how to get that scree off, or other ways I may want to make a screen? Thanks for any feedback![/quote]

I mash in a 5 gallon cooler and use a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag to hold the grain. It filters very well so no need for false bottom, braid, or manifold. After a 90 minute mash, first runnings are clear immediately. Pics of tun w/nylon bag here:

Works exceptionally well. Current bag is 2+yrs old and are available at HD in the paint section (approximately 2 for $4).

:cheers:

hold the rubber center with one hand. using pliers push (not pull) the braid off the hose. if you pull the braid it gets tighter. if you push it, it gets bigger…

Yeah. Once I snip the ends off, I push the braid back a little with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then, I hold the end of the inner tube with one hand while using the other hand to loosely grip the exposed part of the inner tube with the pliers. Finally, I slide the pliers along the length of the tube, causing the braid to expand and slide right off.

You’ve surely seen dennybrew.com?

Cut both ends off of the braided tubing. Apply dish washing soap directly onto the tubing/mesh. Use a needle nose pliers to grab one end of the tubing. From that end, pull in opposite direction and the braid will slip right off.