Cream ale with flaked oats...dumb idea?

Thinking about doing a cream ale but with flaked oats. My initial thought was adding oats along with the standard corn, but the more I think about it I wonder how the two would play together.

On the other hand, if I did flaked oats and not corn, is it even a cream ale anymore?

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome!

1/2 lb of flaked oats would help a little with head retention and add a little creaminess to the mouth feel. Otherwise would not change the character of a cream ale. Assuming you are doing at least a partial mash(both oats and corn need to be mashed) I say go for it.

Yeah, it would be all grain. Maybe 85% pale malt, 15% flaked, and maybe even some sugar to bump up the ABV and keep it dry. Probably 1.052 and maybe 15 IBUs, all at 60 minutes.

I havenā€™t experimented too much with oats outside of stouts, so Iā€™m still not sure how much they would affect the perception of dryness I envision.

Thanks!

Quaker (or store brand) quick oats are the same as flaked AFAIK and cheaper. Thatā€™s all I ever use in oatmeal stout.

Never found any Cream ales to be ā€œcreamyā€ so I would love to hear how this turns out.

I have an ā€œalllegedā€ clone of New Glarus Spotted Cow (cream ale) in bottle conditioning phase that has both flaked corn & flaked barley ( 2 row, Munich 10, caramel 10ā€™ & carapils ). Tried one at 2 weeks yesterdayā€¦very promisingā€¦noticeable improved mouth feel, but that can be from combination of flaked corn,carapils, & flaked barley.

Thanksā€“I havenā€™t used grocery store quick oats before, but I plan to do so this time. Not only due to price, but also because what I want wonā€™t be a full pound increment and I hate wasting anything.

Your comment about a creamy cream ale was kinda my inspiration. Iā€™m not an expert on the style, but I canā€™t really imagine a creamy one either. Guess weā€™ll see how it goes :smile:

Wow, donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever tried Spotted Cow. The style guidelines actually list it as a commercial example, but if that grainbill is close, I may have to rethink my understanding of the style. Looks good, though!

New Glarus limits (and advertises heavily the fact) to ā€œonly in Wisconsinā€.

From John Palmerā€™s How to Brew: ā€œRolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as ā€œInstant Oatmealā€ in the grocery store. Whole oats and ā€œOld Fashioned Rolled Oatsā€ have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. ā€œQuickā€ oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash.ā€ So sounds like Quick oats are not quite the same as flaked oats. I think the Instant Oatmeal would be the microwaveable stuff found in single serve packets. NB sells a pound of flaked oats for $1.99. Might be cheaper than those little packets.

[quote=ā€œbrewdvm, post:9, topic:7171, full:trueā€]
From John Palmerā€™s How to Brew: ā€œRolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as ā€œInstant Oatmealā€ in the grocery store. Whole oats and ā€œOld Fashioned Rolled Oatsā€ have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. ā€œQuickā€ oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash.ā€ So sounds like Quick oats are not quite the same as flaked oats. I think the Instant Oatmeal would be the microwaveable stuff found in single serve packets. NB sells a pound of flaked oats for $1.99. Might be cheaper than those little packets.
[/quote]Canā€™t argue with John. I have been using quick oats for years though. Quaker says bring water (or milk) to a boil, which you donā€™t do in the mash of course, then cook with medium heat for one minute, which we overdo for an hour or so in the mash. So I wonder if that would equal whatever cooking steps you would take for oats. Seems like it always came out for me.

Any ideas?

Iā€™ve been using ā€˜instantā€™ oats for years now (and at least some oats find their way into just about everything I brew). With the instant variety you can bypass any pre-cooking. And at most of the "dollar storesā€™ in my area (particularly Dollar Tree) you can get a 1 pound container of instant oats for just a buck.

Never thought to use instant or quick oats in a brew instead of the ā€œflaked oatsā€ in the brew store. I might have to try thisā€¦

Any idea how to enter the use of instant oats in a recipe to properly calculate for it? Sounds like it would be a bigger boost to the gravity of a beer than flaked oatsā€¦

Iā€™m no expert, but Iā€™d start with the assumption that itā€™s the same.

The thing with all of the conventional wisdom and even Palmerā€™s and other experts comments is that they all seem pretty handwavey to me. Like sure, different varieties are somewhat different, but nothing quantitative. I guess thatā€™s the main reason to stick with the HBS flaked, since itā€™s a known commodity.

With that said, my LHBS charges $2.75 per #, so Iā€™ll probably try the instant at some point.

Iā€™m not an expert either, but I have experimented some with oats. My conclusion was that oats donā€™t give the creaminess or boost in mouthfeel that the conventional wisdom says they give. They also donā€™t seem to give any flavor that is easy to pick out. In fact, Iā€™d go so far as saying that the top use for them might be to lighten a beer without drying it out like using sugar would.

It might be a good addition for a cream ale, but used in addition to (not instead of) the corn. Corn does add flavor, and is part of the character of that style.

Thanks! I have to admit that Iā€™ve never been able to perceive much of a flavor or mouthfeel contribution from oats either.

After all that, I decided in the end not to bother and do a rye cream ale instead. Pale malt, flaked corn, and about 13% rye.

Again heres where an experiment will help to unravel yer answerā€¦ Why not take known quantity, say 1/2 pound of oats, then one gallon of water, do a hour long mash. Check gravity to see what if any you git, then after it cools taste itā€¦. Sometimes when theres a question about yer grains what it does or tastes like, you need to find out! Sneezles61

That test is one I have essentially done already. Last year I brewed a couple test batches of all oat malt beer. It ended up extremely light in color, body and flavor. It was very much like a light lager, with really low efficiecy and a hazy look. It wasnā€™t bad, just very plain.

1 Like