Cream Ale recipe could use some input

How does this look for a slightly out of style cream ale? I’m making it from what I have on hand at the moment.

5 Gallon AG 75% efficiency

7 lb Rahr 2-row
0.7 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt
.5oz Willamette (FWH)
.5oz Willamette (60 min)
.75oz Willamette (10 min)
.75oz Willamette (Dry Hop)

Wyeast 1056
OG 1.043
IBU 21.1
SRM 5.2

This is .2 SRM and 1.1 IBU outside of style. The grain bill is essentially NB’s Cream Ale recipe minus the .25lb of Biscuit malt. I have 2.5oz of Willamette I need to use up, as well. I wanted to try a cream ale with a little more hop character than just an ounce of low alpha hops at 60 min.

I have 1lb of Honey malt, but I think using the whole pound would make it too sweet. I’ve also got a few pounds of light DME I can use if needed. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Where’s the corn? Gotta have some corn IMO. Also, drop the dry hopping. I would even move the 10 minute down to less than 5 or even at flameout.

IMO I have gotten away from adding any Corn to my Cream Ales. I find that you still get enough corniness coming through with the base pils. Will see thou I just sent mine to the Hoppy Halloween Comp will see how it fairs.

After reviewing the BJCP guidelines for category 6, I’m going to brew this without the dry hopping and call it a Blonde Ale. The recipe fits that style much better.

I try not to strictly adhere to styles. Beer brewing is like music to me. If I like it, that’s all that matters. People always try to pigeonhole music and categorize it. I just know if I hear it and I like it, it’s good to me. And beer, If I drink it and I like it, it’s good to me. Whats else ya need to know?

I’m more of an engineer than an artist. :slight_smile: I like to try a true to style example of a beer before I start messing with them. I learn better that way.

My question would be have you had previous experience using that much honey malt? IMO that is a lot and will completely dominate the flavor. The most I have ever used was .25 oz in a light beer and it was definitely noticeable.

As for making a cream ale, I like to use rice flakes. It lightens the flavor and still allows the pilsner malt flavor to come through.

Yes. NB’s Cream Ale kit uses .75lbs of it. I really liked that recipe last time I made it. I loosely based this recipe on that kit’s grain bill.

As it turns out, when I brewed this last weekend, I’m pretty sure I used 8oz of it instead of .8lbs. I had my digital scale on the wrong setting. I also added .75lbs of light DME to bump up the OG to 1.047. I mashed at 150 so this should nice and dry. I’ll find out in a few weeks.

It’s a wonky recipe, but I mostly wanted to use up some ingredients I had on hand and try something new.