Crazy amount of sediment

So I’ve been fermenting my beers on the colder side of the 60’s lately, and I’ve been noticing that even when I give them an extra week or two (more for the higher gravity brews) I’m still getting a TON of sediment in my bottles after I bottle condition them. Anyone have any ideas on this?

How long are you letting the beer in the fermenter before bottling the beer? Just curious. I have about 30 more years to go before i’m a n expert, but I am taking a guess here; sounds like there is yeast in suspension that is settling out.
Give a little more detail on your process and time frames. There are quite a few brewers on this fourm that will have the answer for you.

Pineapple Wheat only took a month to go from 1.052 to 1.008. That last gravity reading was consistent for a week.

Double IPA took a month and a half to go from 1.071 to 1.012 (couldn’t get it to go any further).

My IRA went a little over a month from 1.070 to 1.010

Each time I have bottled with a little over 3/4 cup of corn sugar.

We live in an apartment so space is limiting me from committing to things like a keezer. So, my temps are ambient in a room that swmbo has okayed for beer and temperature control so I shut that door and keep it around 62-64 until a beer is nearly done (when final gravity readings are consistent). Then I ramp it up to 70 for two days and try to cold crash it outside in our storage shed. It’s not perfect, but everything stays in the ballpark of where I want it. Am I just rushing the brews too quickly with those lower temps?

If it is enough to really be bothering you you could try clearing the beer with some isinglass or gelatin. There will still be enough yeast to bottle but not as much.

I think your temp. control during fermentation is fine.
During your cold crash process, how low can you get it? Below 40 would be ideal. If you aren’t there, try the ‘tub o’ cold water with ice bottles’ trick. This should help precipitate the cold haze proteins. Then after 24 hours or so, add gelatin. and let it sit for a day or two before bottling. This has resulted in sparkling clear beers for me once I started doing it this way.
Now, I may be opening up a big can of worms here(we’ll see), BUT this may be a case where using a secondary conditioning for a week or so will benefit. In my mind, if you are moving the beer off sediment( once it’s completely done) and letting it sit, then I’m sure I am sucking up less sediment during my transfer to my bottling bucket. Less sediment to the bottles= less sediment in the bottles.
I do both primary only, or primary plus secondary, depending on the batch, my pipeline needs and my mood. I do think I see a difference. But, your results may vary…
:cheers:

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]Pineapple Wheat only took a month to go from 1.052 to 1.008. That last gravity reading was consistent for a week.

Double IPA took a month and a half to go from 1.071 to 1.012 (couldn’t get it to go any further).

My IRA went a little over a month from 1.070 to 1.010

Each time I have bottled with a little over 3/4 cup of corn sugar.

We live in an apartment so space is limiting me from committing to things like a keezer. So, my temps are ambient in a room that swmbo has okayed for beer and temperature control so I shut that door and keep it around 62-64 until a beer is nearly done (when final gravity readings are consistent). Then I ramp it up to 70 for two days and try to cold crash it outside in our storage shed. It’s not perfect, but everything stays in the ballpark of where I want it. Am I just rushing the brews too quickly with those lower temps?[/quote]

Your time frames and fermenting temperatures all look great to me. The FG numbers look really good. :slight_smile: How much sediment is in the bottles? I had a bottle of Franziskaner lying on its side in my sons dorm refridgerator for about 8 weeks. When I decided to open it, yeast was came out of suspension and was covering the side of the bottle, a little swirl and all was good. If you have about1/4 inch of yeast in the bottom of your bottles, swirl it around and give it a try and see if it is good to drink. I heard of superKleer to add to the secondary to help drop out sediment but never tried it myself.
I keg my beer. When a keg is done and I open it to clean it, I seem to always have some amount of sediment in the bottom, but I have 1/2 inch cut off the dip tube so it doesn’t get picked up.
I would really like to know what is happening with your beer.