Coupla' quick questions before I bottle my second-ever batch

Good Afternoon Folks.

I’m about to bottle a 1-gallon batch of American Wheat. I’d like to bottle it in a couple 64oz. growlers, simply because bottling is a pain in the rear and the growlers will make it easier.

That being said, I won’t be able to fill up two 64 oz. growlers “all the way” with the beer I’ve got. Is it ok for there to be significantly more air in the growler than ideal? Will this affect the final product, or does it not really matter? Could I maybe whip up a priming solution somehow (instead of the sugar tabs in the kit) and use that to increase the volume? Or would that not be enough liquid relative to my small volume of beer to make a difference?

Will screw-top growlers be OK for bottling?

Sorry to say this is not a good idea. Growlers are not designed to withstand natural carbonation pressures. Just like cartridge reloading; to much empty space may result in low pressures or detonation.

Thanks for the tip. I actually stopped by the NB store on Lyndale and asked the dudes there. They suggested just to stick to normal bottles. I went with the 22oz bottles and will be bottling tomorrow. Also picked up my next kit (Dead Ringer IPA).

Thanks folks!

Use an assortment of plastic soda bottles. 12, 16, 20, 24oz, 1l. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. The bottle will expand as CO2 is formed.

Bottling a 1 gallons batch is a PITA? 128oz/12oz = 10.5 bottles. Minus trub loss. Wait until you bottle a 5 gallon batch. :shock:

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Use an assortment of plastic soda bottles. 12, 16, 20, 24oz, 1l. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. The bottle will expand as CO2 is formed.

Bottling a 1 gallons batch is a PITA? 128oz/12oz = 10.5 bottles. Minus trub loss. Wait until you bottle a 5 gallon batch. :shock: [/quote]

+1!!! after bottleing 9 batches in 12 bottles number 10 was done with 12 22oz bottles and 24 12 bottles i am almost ready to buy BMC until i can keg. :mrgreen:

Cheers

You can get qt and liter swing top bottles. I like to mix those with commercial bottles that I can give away and not worry about.