Corn syrup

What is the difference between corn syrup and corn sugar as a fermentable. Are these considered “simple” sugars? Can I substitute back an forth?

My big question is, why would you even want to?

Yes, the corn sugars are simple sugars. You need to do a conversion factor for any substitutions. I’m not sure exactly what it is.

However, as the_basement suggested, simple sugar is simple sugar. Use cane or beet sugar. It’s cheaper and you’ll get exactly the same results.

Also, corn syrup(read Karo) contains flavoring agents that might not go well with your particular recipe. I have not seen a post where someone said “Love adding that Karo syrup, I’ll do it again”.

I’ve not tried either yet. Trying get the alc up with no flavor added. Tried rice syrup solids with little success. Added table sugar to an Imperial IPA that turned out awesome (drinking one now). Used a Caramel too but didn’t like the flavor as much.

Yep- I think your current IPA answered your question of how to increase ABV without adding flavor. Just make sure you don’t overdo it.

I make a big belgium and also a cream style that I use powdered sugar at the end of the boil and they are good to drink…. They do tend to be a bit dry and that I don’t mind in some styles… Sneezles61

Yes, don’t use Karo. It has flavors and preservatives in it you do not want.

I use regular table sugar in many of my beers. Keep the amount under %20 of the grain bill and you should not be able to tell the difference. It will boost the ABV and keep the beer “lighter” compared to adding more malt.

If by “corn syrup” you mean something like Karo, don’t use it. If you mean brewers corn syrup, they’re pretty much identical.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]Yes, the corn sugars are simple sugars. You need to do a conversion factor for any substitutions. I’m not sure exactly what it is.

However, as the_basement suggested, simple sugar is simple sugar. Use cane or beet sugar. It’s cheaper and you’ll get exactly the same results.[/quote]

As a ROT, dry sugars are around 45 ppg. Liquid sugars are around 36 ppg.

Watch out…powdered sugar often contains cornstarch and other things.

Yes i’ne seen that and the one that is quite clean is crystal sugars brand. Sneezles61