Cork Finish Beer Bottles

Does anybody know of a place I can get some cork finish beer bottles. I don’t really want to use champagne style bottles and I don’t want to use Belgian’s for a beer that isn’t typically bottled in a Belgian. I just wan’t a bottle for when I do a special beer that would look nice as a gift.

I’ve been looking here but I think they are wholesale and I’d have to buy a whole pallet if I ordered from them.

http://www.unitedbottles.com/catalogue/beer.php

Which bottles were you considering on that site?

I figured you could cork any beer bottle. #9 seems to be the size mentioned.

After a quick search, it seems some feel that the bottles are to thin to handle the pressures of corking. Rumors of broken bottles and severed tendons. Others say they have had no issues.

You could get a smaller cork (#7, maybe) and cork a regular bottle, then put a crown cap on it above the cork. You don’t want to force a big cork into a thin bottle, and you don’t want to leave your bottles without an airtight seal.

Perhaps a tapered cork would help as well?

I thought that the both the 750ml and 500ml Morning style bottles would be nice as a gift or to bring to a gathering.

Corked bottles are cool to bring to a home brew meeting or give as a gift. My suggestion is to drink a few bottles of your favorite Belgian and then take the labels off of the bottle. If you don’t like the rounded top style bottles, you can use brown champagne bottles like Westmalle or Rodenbach. You will need to get reference size corks that have the REF letters on the cork. You will also need a corker. I have used an inexpensive, two handed wine bottle corker, and an expensive Ferrari corker. Both work fine, but the Ferrari is great if you are going to do this on a regular basis. Push the corks in about half way so you can get the cage on enough to twist it into place. You can use a pencil to keep the grip round. I lay the bottles down for a few weeks. I did get a bad batch of corks one time, and they would not seal unless I did this, so I always do. Dupont brewery does this too, so it is good enough for me. After you are sure the beer has carbonated, you can keep it upright in the fridge.

I bought a colonna corker capper a month ago when I started bottleing belgians. I had a lot of fun doing it so I guess that’s probably what sparked the idea in the first place. The colonna corkers works pretty well once you figure out what your depth is suppose to be and can get a good rhythm going. I read that laying beers on there side isn’t as great an idea as it is for wines.

Here’s a link to that article.

That was a pretty good article, but if you get a bad batch of corks, you end up opening flat beer to the gathering you are attending. It is a real let down to everyone expecting a great beer, and a blow to your reputation as a brewer of really good Belgian style beers. I only leave the bottles on their sides for two to three weeks. This is the only way these corks would seal. I probably wasted 30-40 bottles of beer, and no one could figure out my problem through various forums and home brew clubs. I finally read about laying down the bottles in the Farmhouse Ales Book by Markowski. They do it at the Dupont Brewery. Once the beers are carbonated, the corks are sealed and you should store them upright in the fridge. Laying the bottles down to carbonate is just good insurance against faulty corks and a lot of extra work for a bad bottle of beer.

I will definitely take that into consideration next time I bottle with corks. Thanks

So does anyone know where I can find dark green or a translucent black pressure rated bottle for my beer? And when I say dark green I mean you almost can’t see through it.