Copper Pickup Tube

I’m heading to the hardware store to get some copper tubing for a pickup tube in my keggle. Is there anything I need to know about the type of copper that I should be getting? Obviously I want it to be fine when in boiling wort but does that mean I need to get some special type of tubing?

I used just standard water piping copper. Here is what I made for each of my kettles.

Get the cheapest grade of tubing, it doesn’t need to be thick-walled. M is the thinnest, L and K are thicker. All the same OD.

I’d also go with a smaller OD tubing, I’ve found that the larger stuff might not hold suction once the wort level drops below the point where the valve is.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I used just standard water piping copper. Here is what I made for each of my kettles.

[/quote]

How is that piping connected? Can it be unscrewed easily?

[quote=“bistro37”]How is that piping connected? Can it be unscrewed easily?[/quote]NPT and sdoldered. No need to remove but you can unscrew the bulkhead,

If you want something that can be unscrewed easily, a 90 degree elbow and a compression fitting is an easy way to go.

I used a brass fitting on mine.