Converting munich malt LME

I’m thinking about doing a partial mash of a red that I like to make and I was wondering about Munich Malt LME. Briess says that theirs is 50% base malt and 50% munich. So, since theirs is what I use, in theory I could split a grain bill like this and mini-mash it and add it to the wort, yes?

OK, not sure I’m understanding your Q.
LME doesn’t have any active diastatic enzymes left, so it can’t help convert any other grain product. But rereading your post, I don’t know if that’s what you’re asking.
Am I just being stupid?

[quote=“James Rausch”]OK, not sure I’m understanding your Q.
LME doesn’t have any active diastatic enzymes left, so it can’t help convert any other grain product. But rereading your post, I don’t know if that’s what you’re asking.
Am I just being stupid?[/quote]

I want to replace the Munich LME in the recipe with a mini-mash. So I was wondering if doing a 50/50 split with munich malt and 2-row would be an acceptable substitute.

I think the OP is asking if he can mash equal parts 2row and Munich to replace some LME or even boost the ABV. Yes, should work just fine.

edit: :wink:

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”][quote=“James Rausch”]OK, not sure I’m understanding your Q.
Am I just being stupid?[/quote]

I want to replace the Munich LME in the recipe with a mini-mash. So I was wondering if doing a 50/50 split with munich malt and 2-row would be an acceptable substitute.[/quote]
OK thanks, I was being stupid!!!
Yes, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t replace the Munich LME with a 50:50 mix of munich and 2-row. I’m not absolutely sure off the top of my head, but I believe the ratio is 1lb. of malt mashed properly is equivalent to 3/4 lb LME. Good luck!(and good brew)