Controlling warmer temperatures for yeast in fermentation

I’m ready to brew my next batch of beer. I am planning to do the La Petite Orange recipe and I noticed that the recommended temperatures for the yeast is 68-78 degrees. It’s just getting ready to start spring here in Ohio and the daytime temperatures are floating around the 40’s. I tend to keep my home a little on the cool side and the temperature is set for the low 60’s when I am away at work in the daytime.

Without buying a heater or anything like that, are there any cheap home recommendations to help the beer stay warm enough to ferment at the correct temperature? My previous batches this winter sat in my upstairs bedroom and fermented around 62-64 degrees exactly as they should have for those beers. Will wrapping it in blankets suffice? Any tips and tricks I should know?

You can use a heating pad on the lowest setting covered with a blanket for a cheap and easy warmer. Might try it with water first, see what temp you can maintain with your particular pad.

I posted a similar question a while back. It was recommended to use a light bulb in a closet.

Give it a try. I bought the Temp Controller for my small chest freezer, reversed the wires as instructed, and hooked it up to a small desk lamp. Works like a charm. I was going to need the Temp Controller this summer so I just got one early.

Lefty

[quote=“gmiller598”]I’m ready to brew my next batch of beer. I am planning to do the La Petite Orange recipe and I noticed that the recommended temperatures for the yeast is 68-78 degrees. It’s just getting ready to start spring here in Ohio and the daytime temperatures are floating around the 40’s. I tend to keep my home a little on the cool side and the temperature is set for the low 60’s when I am away at work in the daytime.

Without buying a heater or anything like that, are there any cheap home recommendations to help the beer stay warm enough to ferment at the correct temperature? My previous batches this winter sat in my upstairs bedroom and fermented around 62-64 degrees exactly as they should have for those beers. Will wrapping it in blankets suffice? Any tips and tricks I should know?[/quote]

What yeast? I vary the yeast choice on my house beer depending on the temp of my brew room. On the other hand, a beer in low 60s room temp that is fermenting will be several degrees higher in the carboy, probably pretty close to 68.

When needed, I use a heating pad on low, in a styrofoam lined insulated box . Definitely keep an eye of the fermometer on your bucket/carboy, and adjust accordingly.

You could purchase the temp controller in my signature line to control a heating pad, reptile rock or light bulb.

But I’m thinking your room temp will be fine. As noted, when fermentation is going the beer will be 5-10* warmer than room temp.

Why not just turn the heat up in your house to 65?

I have a programmable thermostat that turns the heat on at 5:30am to bring the house up to 68. then at 7am it drops down to 60. At 5pm it raises the temp back up to 68. 10:30pm it drops down to 60 again.

No need to heat the house when no one is home. And I sleep better when it’s cooler. And it saves the gas bill.

I have a set back T-stat too, but spending a few bucks more a month for gas is a lot cheaper than building a temperature controlled closet.

But way less fun. :stuck_out_tongue:

the bonus room in my basement is on its own zone, so during the winter months, I have a 12’ x 25’ temperature controlled fermentation chamber. :cheers: