Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Contributions of Wheat

Rethinking some of my recipes lately that use smaller percentages (5% of the grist) of Wheat in them.
What, if any, do you think it really contributes to the final beer?

What kind of wheat and what kind of beer? Malted wheat, flaked wheat and torrified wheat all have different flavors. At 5% the flavor contribution will be minimal although detectable in some brews. Depending on the style and what the other ingredients are you may get some changes in the body & texture of the beer as well as the foam retention/head. :cheers:

It provides a pleasant bready grain flavor and can improve head retention. I use it in a lot of my beers, probably not even as much as I would like.

I was talking malted wheat and i normally use it my Pale and Amber Ales…which do have some pretty good head retention.
I haven’t made those without the wheat, that’s why I was curious if it would be noticeable or not at that percentage.

I use 6% wheat in my APA recipe. I definitely think its noticeable.

[quote=“Legman”]I was talking malted wheat and i normally use it my Pale and Amber Ales…which do have some pretty good head retention.
I haven’t made those without the wheat, that’s why I was curious if it would be noticeable or not at that percentage.[/quote]

At 5% maybe there would be some flavor but YMMV. I use 5% malted wheat in Kolsch and while the beer does have a bright white head I wouldn’t say it has much of a noticeable wheat flavor. With a 10% addition of torrified wheat in a bitter I do get a toasty/grainy background flavor. :cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com