Continuous fermentation

I was told by a person that they were at a craft brewery and asked for a good pumpkin ale. The owner said he had one that he couldn’t sell anymore because it was out of date(never heard of this) but since the 2 people were long time friends he would serve it for free. This person drank it and became so intoxicated that she had to be helped out to her car. Later she was told that this pumpkin ale never stops fermenting and the alcohol level keeps increasing to liquor levels and that’s why they couldn’t sell it. I told her that I believed that was bunk and all yeast has a tolerance level and could never reach liquor alcohol levels without distillation. Her other thought was someone put something in her drink. They said when it got to those levels it was called “rumkin”. Never heard of that either. But you learn new stuff every day. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I’m with you- I’m calling BS. I think they ruffied her. If it were my wife/significant other I would probably call the cops.
Unless of course she drank more than the standard pint…

Rumpkin is the name of a beer. ABV, though, isn’t the only thing at play. I know if I drink a Brett beer, there’s a chance I’m fighting a headache for the next 20 hours. I’ve had an infected homebrew knock me out (and I can handle big beers). There are a lot of unknowns to this story… let’s say this beer got to 15-17 abv (top range of plausible). Did she have one pint? A couple? Is she 90 lbs? Anyway, beer that keeps on fermenting is infected. Infected beer messes people up. Sounds like a lot of hokum being said about the beer, but being rufied by a friend is a serious accusation… I tend to believe victims, but I’d want to know more before supporting that theory.

1 Like

Given the heavy baloney above, I’d give some serious consideration to the roofie theory. Sounds plausible to me.

1 Like

There is only so much potential that the barley can give… Even if the yeast could ferment down to the results of a wine yeast… I doubt there would be that much of a gain in ABV… They can test for drugs in your system… Sneezles61

A pint of 15% alcohol could do that. That’s why wine is sipped in a smaller glass not chugged out of a pint glass normally

I would think a brewmaster at a craft brewery would know if a batch with his name on it was infected, then using the excuse “it’s out of date”.

2 Likes

Seems kinda odd. Obviously the brewer knows there’s something fishy in Denmark. I have a buddy “XXXXX” who works for a brewery and the comment by the owner was “We’ve dumped so many gallons of beer because XXXXX said it wasn’t right. The grass out back is going nuts!” Seems to me this brewer would know it’s going south and dump it and not risk it being sold or dispensed to patrons. I’m throwing a BS flag on this deal as well.

Sounds like she got drunk and now is trying to blame someone else. Don’t you hate when you go drinking with someone and they home and tell the wife it was your fault

1 Like

A little too much is one thing but staggering, falling down, commode hugging, getting south of the law is another and one I’ll not take the blame for. Maybe having a beer or two too many, I think it may be a “Guy Code” thing when it comes to blame and getting thrown under the bus. Having an extra one from a homebrew perspective, I like to share so it might be my fault anyway! LOL :joy:

Never thought about blaming someone else. That’s embarrassing, my wife would just tell me to man up anyway.

1 Like

LOL Yeah, same here and I always do take responsibility for my actions. That guy code thing…and I think my friends’ SO’s toss the BS flag on them anyway. :unamused:

1 Like