Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Consistently low FG

I have consistently gotten 2-4 FG points lower than the recipe calls for. Not really a big deal, but wondering why? Any ideas. I ferment on the lower end of the yeast range.

T

how about your pitch rate? mash temp low? What kind of thermometer are you using?

Have you checked your hydrometer’s reading with distilled water at the temp listing on the paper?

Yes, and have used different hydrometers too.

we need a bit more info. for what it’s worth, the FG on the recipe (and from recipe calculators) is an estimate, it’s certainly not set-in-stone, so a variance of 2-4 points is not unusual.

are you doing extract or all grain?

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]we need a bit more info. for what it’s worth, the FG on the recipe (and from recipe calculators) is an estimate, it’s certainly not set-in-stone, so a variance of 2-4 points is not unusual.

are you doing extract or all grain?[/quote]

Don’t you prefer to play 1000 questions?

Ive done 5 extract brews and just racked my first all grain to secondary. Every one has fermented to lower than estimated FG. No big deal really, they have all tasted good ( except my dead ringer which I somehow screwed up ). I was just wondering if there is something obvious that more experienced brewers all know? More just because I like to know how everything works. I usually primary for 10-14 days in plastic carboys. Then 2ndary 2 weeks. But i take my reading when racking to secondary. I do full volume boils. I make yeast starters for all batches. Always used wyeast or white labs.
No worries, just wondering.

unfortunately there are so many factors that contribute to FG (grain bill/types of extract, mash temp, yeast strain, etc…). It’s really difficult to predict accurately. It’s one of those things that you will have to get used to and learn from. If your FGs are usually low, try mashing at a higher temperature next time.

I wish there was an easy answer for you (and me), but its just something you will get the hang of in your process

edit: yeast attenuation will get you in the ball park - Although the amount of fermentables in your wort is the real question. Different grains provide varying amounts of fermentable and non fermentable sugars

Cool, thanks

I find a mashout gives me an extra 4-5pts of efficiency that hangs around in the FG, so that by itself might get you where you want to be.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com