Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Confusion on steeping - Please help

Beginning brewer here and I was looking for some clarification. I’m brewing a Racer 5 clone. The recipe I’m following uses wheat malt and 2 row pale malt and it states to steep the grains. however, I’m also reading from several different sources that both wheat malt and 2 row pale should be mashed rather than steeped.

If anyone could enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

Mashing is basically steeping at a controlled temp for a set period of time. I’ve seen recipes that use the term steeping and I think they use that term because beginners who might not know all the terminology yet can easily understand it.

Most 2 row and wheat malts are mashed. I suppose it could also depend on how much of each is in the recipe and if it is all grain or extract. Posting the recipe would help.

Here’s the recipe:

6.0 lbs. (2.7 kg) dried malt extract
0.33 lbs. (0.15 kg) 2-row pale malt
1.66 lbs. (0.75 kg) wheat malt
0.625 lbs. (0.28 kg) crystal malt (15 °L)
0.42 lbs. (0.19 kg) dextrose (corn sugar)
0.21 lbs. (95 g) CaraPils malt
6.1 AAU Chinook hops (90 mins)
(0.51 oz./14 g of 12% alpha acids)
8.7 AAU Cascade hops (60 mins)
(1.74 oz./49 g of 5.0% alpha acids)
0.3 oz. Centennial hops (dry hop)
0.3 oz. Amarillo hops (dry hop)
0.2 oz. Cascade hops (dry hop)
0.2 oz. Tomahawk hops (dry hop)
Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) or White Labs WLP051
(California V) yeast
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Steep crushed grains in 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water at 152 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops at the times indicated in the ingredient list. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C).

If they give you a steeping time and temp use it, otherwise use the water amount for your boil and bring it to 150 deg and put the grains in a grain bag for 30 min. When done steeping/mashing, pull out the grain bag and pour in your extract and hops etc.

Steep crushed grains in 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water at 152 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops at the times indicated in the ingredient list. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C).

Perhaps they didn’t say mash because the mash is for less than an hour. Or they really don’t consider the terms to mean anything different if liquor volume, temperature, and time is correct. They do mean to mash by using that certain volume of water and temperature combination.

Go ahead and mash all the grains at the same time. The crystal doesn’t need to be mashed, but it won’t have any ill effect to be in the mash as just steeping it separately for extraction of color and flavor.

[quote=“greenandwhite”]Here’s the recipe:

Steep crushed grains in 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water at 152 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops at the times indicated in the ingredient list. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C).[/quote]

Perhaps it’s obvious, but it’s not stated above: Remove the bag of grains after the 45 minutes and before boiling.

Sorry if I clouded the issue, it’s been 15 yrs since I’ve done extract.

Thanks everyone. Definitely helped!

Aren’t the additional grains in an extract brew mostly for flavor, not additional fermentables? That was what I always understood the reason to be for “steeping” instead of “mashing.”

Typically yes, but this recipe contains grains with starches which can be converted to fermentable sugars by mashing. The reason, in this case, for mashing is just because the way the author presented the recipe for the clone.

I see it calls for one gallon for steeping/mashing. Don’t see it in recipe posted but does it mention adding more water? If so take a little and heat Iit to 170° and rinse your grains with it.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com