Confirmation

Had a recipe shipped to me, not NB, but the yeast was Wyeast. Sat in my complex office for 5 days at 75 degrees, without knowing it had arrived. Never received a shipping notice from FEDEX. Smacked it this morning at 9, and here it is just after 5, and still no inflation.

Run by my LHBS and get a new pack, or wait a little while longer and see?

When are you brewing? Make a starter and really see. Sometimes they do not swell up. I doubt they are dead at 75*

What is the date on the pack?

MFG date is Feb '13. There might be signs of slight inflation now. But just super slow.

I am not quite to the starter making level equipment wise. Unless there is another container I could use instead of a flask. I do have some LME I could use. So if there is an alternative to the flask, I for sure would give it a whirl.

Do you have a growler? That would work. I have also used a 2 L mason jars. I have heard others have used plastic gallon jugs. I would run a quick goggle search, brewers are a pretty darn resourceful bunch. I am sure you will get lots of ideas.

If you do a starter, check out www.MrMalty.com and read up on making starter. Use the calculator to get the correct pitching rate.

Good luck! :cheers:

2l soda bottle. 1g milk jug, cleaned well. Glass gallon apple juice jug (my favorite, tho harder to find).

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/1-gallon-jug.html

Growler it is. Plenty of those around.

I’ll get reading and video watching tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

[quote=“jabonneau86”]Growler it is. Plenty of those around.

I’ll get reading and video watching tomorrow.

Thanks guys.[/quote]
How big is the beer you’re brewing? A growler is good for a 1L starte. Any bigger might blow off. I just did a 2L starter in a 1 gal plastic distilled water jug. Worked out fine. The wort is happily turning to beer as I type.

Mr. Beer 2 1/2 gallon Ocktoberfest type of beer. OG is 1.081. All extract. Figured with it being only 2 1/2 gallons, it shouldn’t be to much of a stress on the yeast. Or am I wrong in that assumption?

1.081 for an Octoberfest? Wow

Did one like it last year. Came out to 8.1%. Sat in bottles for over 6 months. Went down like BUTTA. Nice, velvety, smooth, matly. To bad I didn’t set one aside for this year.

MrMalty will tell you exactly what to pitch. :cheers: