Conditioning

Yup. If you don’t want to have empty taps, you need one keg waiting and ready to go as soon as the serving keg blows, or you’ll have a choice of no beer on tap or serving the beer before it is really ready.
And to be safe, you should have more kegs. It doesn’t happen often, but I’ve had both my serving kegs blow in the same day. Good thing I had multiple kegs on deck…

[quote=“Radagast”]I assumed there was no advantage to not carbing it, my limitation is my equipment. I just have one 5 lb CO2 bottle atm with a single line regulator and a 2 hose manifold to split it out inside my kegerator. Typically to seal up a keg, I have been disconnecting a gas line from a keg in kegerator, shutting off manifold to second keg and hitting the new keg with 30 PSI to seal it up and then letting it sit in my basement (65 year round) until there’s space in the kegerator. I am getting a second 5 lb CO2 tank from my my uncle who doesn’t use it anymore, guess I’ll just have to go pick up a spare regulator. :stuck_out_tongue: Then I can carb staged kegs outside of the kegerator while they wait to go in.

:cheers:
Rad[/quote]

Newbie kegger chiming in! Don’t you need a boatload of Co2 to carbonate at warm temps? I used corn sugar to naturally prime my first few kegs so they’re ready when I complete my keezer(very soon hopefully!) Once they’ve sat at room temp. for 3-4 weeks, it should only take a few days of serving pressure @ 38 in the keezer right? Maybe I’m way off on this one! :?

[quote=“Thirstyone”][quote=“Radagast”]I assumed there was no advantage to not carbing it, my limitation is my equipment. I just have one 5 lb CO2 bottle atm with a single line regulator and a 2 hose manifold to split it out inside my kegerator. Typically to seal up a keg, I have been disconnecting a gas line from a keg in kegerator, shutting off manifold to second keg and hitting the new keg with 30 PSI to seal it up and then letting it sit in my basement (65 year round) until there’s space in the kegerator. I am getting a second 5 lb CO2 tank from my my uncle who doesn’t use it anymore, guess I’ll just have to go pick up a spare regulator. :stuck_out_tongue: Then I can carb staged kegs outside of the kegerator while they wait to go in.

:cheers:
Rad[/quote]

Newbie kegger chiming in! Don’t you need a boatload of Co2 to carbonate at warm temps? I used corn sugar to naturally prime my first few kegs so they’re ready when I complete my keezer(very soon hopefully!) Once they’ve sat at room temp. for 3-4 weeks, it should only take a few days of serving pressure @ 38 in the keezer right? Maybe I’m way off on this one! :? [/quote]
Natural priming works fine for kegs just like it does for bottles. The only disadvantage to it is that it will take longer for the beer to carbonate and clear (because your are encouraging the yeast to be active in the beer) and you will have a bit more sediment in the bottom of the keg. You are off with regards to carbonating at room temp. You want to put the same amount of CO2 into the beer regardless of what temp you are carbing at. However, because the beer is less soluble to gas at higher temperatures, you need more pressure to get it to the same carbonation level at room temp.