Conditioning Problem

I’ve been having problems with my last few batches when it comes conditioning. They have turned out flat. I have used the tablets, and priming sugar. The batch I ever made turned out very good (Chinook) with the priming sugar. Everything after that has not been good. I’m still new to brewing so I’m not completely sure what I may have done wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are they in a warm spot - say in the 70’s? We’re they in the primary a long time? If all is as expected try inverting the beers slowly and then put them back right side up for a week at 70F. If that doesn’t work, you can try adding more sugar and yeast.

:cheers:

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]Are they in a warm spot - say in the 70’s? We’re they in the primary a long time? If all is as expected try inverting the beers slowly and then put them back right side up for a week at 70F. If that doesn’t work, you can try adding more sugar and yeast.

:cheers: [/quote]

It was supposed to be *the first batch I ever made. Ok, right now they are in an area where it is between 70 and 80, probably closer to 70. They really weren’t in the primary longer than suggested. The primary and secondary temp was lower than 70. At this time, I have no more yeast but how would I go about adding more sugar? I plan on taking these things into account the next time I brew which might not be for awhile because I am moving soon.

Also what does inverting them do? Could I try that before adding more yeast or sugar or would I need to do that first?

Inverting the bottles, turning upside down and shaking, keeps the yeast in suspension.

If the beers have been in the bottle for less than 3 weeks, you are rushing them.

I figured that letting them sit longer would hopefully help them. They have been sitting for more than a month and there has been little change. I will try inverting and shaking them though and see if that helps.

Are you sure you Re mixing the sugar in well? A sugar solution is heavier than beer and takes a good bit of stirring in the bottling bucket.
I hear the drops are inconsistent. Stick to priming sugar or table sugar.
Positive you added sugar? My friend recently had a flat batch and he finally added more sugar and they took right off. He popped tops and added to each bottle.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Are you sure you Re mixing the sugar in well? A sugar solution is heavier than beer and takes a good bit of stirring in the bottling bucket.
I hear the drops are inconsistent. Stick to priming sugar or table sugar.
Positive you added sugar? My friend recently had a flat batch and he finally added more sugar and they took right off. He popped tops and added to each bottle.[/quote]

As far as I know, I mixed it well before I put it in the bottling bucket and when I added the beer to it. I’ll pay more attention to it next time. The inverting of the bottles did make a noticeable difference though, it’s not great yet but it is better. I was skeptical that it would do anything. I plan on doing that to the rest of the bottles and I hope that between that and having them sit longer, they will turn out better. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.