Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Conditioning in bottle vs secondary for IPA

Hi guys, I’ve enjoyed reading this forum for a while but this is my first post. I’m a great fan of IPA and have brewed a few really good partial mash IPAs. I usually dry hop in the primary after 10 days with a hop bag. I then cold crash after 7 days and bottle. This time I’m trying a new dry hopping tehnique where I add the hops pellets earlier - with approx 5 point left before terminal (final) gravity is achieved. I’m also not using a bag this time (6 oz added to 5 Gal batch). My question is: the technique describes racking to a secondary after 3 - 4 days to remove the beer from the hops. Then letting it condition for a week or 2 before bottling. Would it do any harm leaving it in the primary for an extra couple of days and then racking off straight to bottles and letting the beer condition in the bottle?
Thanks

1 Like

You certainly can age in the bottle. Many beers are aged that way. The reason it calls for secondary is to assistin helping the beer clear. I’m a proponent of secondaries. Do what works best for YOU.

Some dry hop in primary. There are studies that show beers should be dry hopped at secondary after clearing. The hop oils will bind to the yeast and settle out.

1 Like

See the listen to beer smith with Stan H.? Good talk there… Sneezles61

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Sneezles have you got a link? This new method of dry hopping I’m trying came from Matt Brynildson (Firestone Walker). He does a good talk on hops here: https://vimeo.com/59709377
I think I’ll stick with his advice and transfer to secondary where I might do a second dry hop addition…mmmmmm more hops!

I don’t know how to git those links to work, beer smith.com Sneezles61

Looks like the “site:” feature of google will get you to bunch of articles by Stan H

stan site:beersmith.com

Yup, the pod cast 106 was interesting, to me… Sneezles61

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com