Conditioning a Belgian triple

I have a Belgian triple in the secondary clearing up. I plan on keeping it in the secondary for three or four weeks. After that I will keg the beer and let it condition for 6-8 months. The keg will be at room temperature during that time. What pressure should I have in the keg. I checked out a home brewer co2 chart, but it only went to 65 degrees, and at that temperature there should be between 23 and 30 pounds of co2 in the keg. Our room temperature in the winter runs about 66 degrees. Spring and summer it is closer to 75 degrees. Can I let the keg sit with 30-35 pounds of co2 on board for that long :?:
Brad

If it were me I’d hit it with around 15-20 psi for 3 or 4 days before aging. Six or so months down the road set the pressure for the desired carbonation level a week out before tapping.

Thanks for the feedback! It is ok to leave at room temperature for the 6-8 months?

6-8 months is just fine. Before you plan on releasing it I would crash cool that keg. It will be much easier to get carbed to serving volumes at that time.

Good to know I can leave the beer at room temperatures. I sure would hate to have to go down to one keg on tap in the kegerator because of keeping the triple cold for 6-8 months. There are quite a few different beers I want to brew during the time it is conditioning. Got to have the timing right so when one runs out, the next is ready to go! :cheers:

You could keg it now and let it age in the keg. No fear of air locks going dry, sun exposure…

do you have a garage? if so, you can build a small pink foam board box and use a ceramic heater to keep the beer from freezing. Add a temp controller like is in my signature line and you are set through April/May.

Before serving, transfer it to another keg to leave anything that has dropped out behind.

The garage idea is a good one. Maybe store it close to the house wall so you get some warmth. In my experience, colder is better to keep big beers from oxidizing. As long as it does not freeze, you should be ok keeping it cold. You could also find a closet in your house that is on an outside wall. It should stay a few degrees cooler than room temp if you keep the door shut.

Great Ideas! The garage idea just might be the ticket for keeping it cold. I never gave that a thought. It is a one car job. Gets all the winter slop on the floor. Our garage is below freezing sometimes in the dead of winter. It’s attached to the house, but has a brick wall against the house wall. No closets near an outside wall. I’ll have to fabricate something with insulation and some form of heat with a controller and keep it up off the floor.

If you are any good at DIY, check this out. You could actually use it all year round. To warm in winter and chill in summer.

http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/38DD ... on-Chiller

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]If you are any good at DIY, check this out. You could actually use it all year round. To warm in winter and chill in summer.

http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/38DD ... on-Chiller[/quote]

Thanks Loopie! That is pretty awesome. I wonder what the smallest air conditioner is. Cut a square opening in the side and mount the AC. I hear that they make one that uses dryer vent type hose and the unit sits on the floor. But I guess if one goes to all that trouble, may as well buy a small chest freezer for under $200 and use the external controller. :smiley:

That is some serious restraint.

In 6 months I would have polished off that batch, rebrewed it, and polished it off again.

[quote=“narcout”]That is some serious restraint.

In 6 months I would have polished off that batch, rebrewed it, and polished it off again.[/quote]

Never did one of these triples before. Really not sure how long is long enough. Yep I agree, it will be tough not to tap that keg after a few months. But there are so many other beers I want to do, waiting on the triple might no be too bad. I just hope that the beer does not have an infection or something after waiting all that time. Denny had a great idea for me, I’ll hook up the picnic pumper type faucet now and then and draw off a sample and give it a try.