Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Concrete Krausen

Hi All,
I was wondering if krausen always or is supposed to ‘always’ falls back into the wort. I brewed an Ameri-Belgian Pale on Sunday and got immediate fireworks in the fermenter Sunday thru Wednesday. The last couple days still bubbling every 45 seconds or so. The krausen thinned down to about an inch. I wanted to try Mullerbrau’s method of adding honey right after high krausen. So this morning, as I checked my gravity, the beer thief left a hole in the K that looked like something you’d bore for ice fishing. I mean the stuff hardly moved. So I pitched a pound of diluted clove honey and within 10 minutes, the hole closed and exuberant activity started again. So can I expect that after my batch eats its desert, the K should sink? Or can it remain on top with no negative cause? I plan on dry hopping in secondary in a few weeks. Any input?
Have a great weekend, Mike

Some krausen is just stubborn that way. You’ve got a couple of options. When you rack, you can rack from underneath it and leave it behind, or you can gently swirl the beer to break it up and let it fall into the beer. It will eventually sink to the bottom. Cold crashing wouldn’t hurt :slight_smile:

It’s like Santa’s beard in there, you want to poke at it but also just marvel at it :stuck_out_tongue:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com