Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Compressed oxygen(cylinder o2) for aerating wort?

does anyone use compressed o2 to aerate the wort prior to pitching? on my first 2 brews i just shook the carboy around for 5 minutes to aerate, what are the pros/cons of using pure oxygen from a cylinder rigged with a diffuser to aerate the wort? the o2 i have is industrial grade(welding/ torch) i KNOW there is a difference between this and the oxygen that, say, a person with emphysema is breathing off of. would it matter with homebrewing, using the o2 that i have available? once fermentation is complete there shouldnt be o2 left right? after the fermentation the yeast convert everything to alcohol and co2, correct? all the oxygen that would be present prior to pitching should be dispursed through the airlock from all the carbon dioxide being produced…

Welding O2 and medical O2 are the same, just different valves on the cylinders. I use it with a stainless wand and stone and find that it makes oxygenating fast and consistent.

:cheers: thanks. about how long and at what pressure do oxygenate?

Up to 1.060 gets one minute at 1L/min, up to 1.090 gets 90 seconds, greater than 1.090 gets two minutes.

I do the same. this & healthy pitch rates have greatly increased my start times.

You can use a metal stone, or you can shoot gas in the headspace of the carboy and then cap and shake. I favor the latter because its a pain to sanitize the stone and hose.

Pro: no shaking of the carboy.
Con:

Con: Worry about sanitizing something that is full of tiny holes.
Finding the stone when it goes missing (still haven’t found the stupid thing either).
Having your stone clog up which is a real problem if you don’t handle/clean it properly each time.

When making small batches, shaking isn’t a real problem.

I just boil mine for 10 minutes before use.

Not at all. I boil it when I make my starter, star san soak when I aerate my wort a few days later. No problems with it yet.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com