Competition?

I am entering a beer in a competition and having trouble picking a category for it. Here is the mash profile:

10.00 Pale Malt (2 Row) US Mash
1.00 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Mash
1.00 Munich Malt Mash
0.50 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L Mash
0.50 Chocolate Malt Mash
0.50 Victory Malt Mash
HOPS

0.50 Magnum 14.0 Boil 60
0.50 Centennial 10.0 Boil 10
0.50 Columbus (Tomahawk) 14.0 Boil 10
0.50 Centennial 10.0 Boil 0
0.50 Columbus (Tomahawk) 14.0 Boil 0

I plan to enter it in category 10B…but Beersmith says it has a 22.0 SRM. Will I lose some credit in the judges eyes for being too dark for the category.

I wouldn’t say it is a brown ale…although it would better fit color-wise there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This looks pretty darn close to an American Brown Ale to me. I think the chocolate malt gets you there. Its a pretty catch all category for medium dark beers with some sturdy/complex malt and optional moderate to high American hops behind it, which it looks like you have.

Aroma: “Hop aroma is typically low to moderate. Some interpretations of the style may feature a stronger hop aroma, a citrusy American hop character, and/or a fresh dry-hopped aroma (all are optional).”

Flavor: “Medium to high malty flavor (often with caramel, toasty and/or chocolate flavors), with medium to medium high bitterness. The medium to medium-dry finish provides an aftertaste having both malt and hops. Hop flavor can be light to moderate, and may optionally have a citrusy character.
Very low to moderate fruity esters. Moderately low to no diacetyl”

You’re at the low end of the SRMs for ABA, but in all honesty, 1.) the most you would lose is a point, and 2.) Calculated SRM often differs quite a bit from actual SRM (differences in actual malt SRM, and kettle carmelization)

The best way to decide is to drink some while you read through the guidelines of the category you’re thinking of entering. For purposes of competiton, whatever is tastes lke is what you should enter it as.

Definitely an American Brown Ale, but with age (like 1-2 years), it should turn into a very nice Old Ale and actually would fit that style better, if it didn’t have so much late hop additions. But assuming you’ll submit it to competition while still young, then it is ABA.