Competition Beer

So I’m looking to enter my beer into a competition for the first time. Rules require submitting 2 bottles between 10 and 16 oz.

Here’s my issue, I don’t bottle beer and will be using a beer gun to go from kegs to bottles. Because I don’t bottle regularly, I have a bunch of swing top bottles and was planning on using those. I have a capper (never used) and bottle caps, should I be using that instead of swing tops?

Also, they recommend using plain sided bottles. Most of my bottles have raised ‘decoration’ on the side. Is this a problem?

Any input is appreciated.

Check the comp rules carefully, but it is pretty standard practice to submit plain 12 oz. bottles that are free from raised lettering or markings.

Swing-tops are verbotten in just about every competition.

As others have said the competition rules will spell out the particulars, however, almost all competitions require plain bottles with standard bottle caps. The idea is that the raised name of the brewery whose bottles you are re-using could tip off a judge to the location of the contestant and potentially his identity. I think that is a really unlikely possibility but that is what I have heard is the reason for needing “plain bottles.” Basically, if you want to enter competitions regularly you will have to get plain bottles and cap them with standard bottle caps. And yes, I have never seen a competition that allows swing tops. To much risk of opening inadvertently during shipping?

Yep, you want plain bottles. Also, if your caps have anything on them make sure that you completely black them out with a sharpie.

I just entered 9 beers in the WEB today and they said raised lettering was ok as long as it was somewhat generic (like Sam Adams) and not something unique that might tip off a judge.

I was wondering. How long do you age your beer before you submit it if it is bottle conditioned vs kegged?

[quote=“mppatriots”]I was wondering. How long do you age your beer before you submit it if it is bottle conditioned vs kegged?[/quote]Bottle conditioned beer is best at 3-4 weeks IMO.

How long would you let a beer keg condition before using it for a competition?

[quote=“mppatriots”]How long would you let a beer keg condition before using it for a competition?[/quote]Anytime after 3 w in keg. Preferably near the end when it is crystal clear.

I have used gelatin twice with zero results please help me… I hydrate yeast in water for 20 minutes then bring water to 170-180 degrees then put in cold conditioned kegged beer… Should I stir or cool down before I pitch?