Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Colonial and/or Early America Recipes

Anyone have any success with some of the Thomas Jefferson Ale recipes I’ve seen out there?

An acquaintance mentioned it to me today and I’d love to try it. Hoping to get their specific recipe soon, but wondering if others have meddled around with re-creating “old” american beers?

The variants of the Thomas Jefferson Ale recipe I’ve seen include 6-row, wheat, and molasses.

Anyone got anything interesting to throw in here…?

$2.05 :lol:

Please tell me it includes hops too. I’d have a difficult time drinking a brew without at least some hop flavor.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“HaleBrewer”]

The variants of the Thomas Jefferson Ale recipe I’ve seen include 6-row, wheat, and molasses.

[/quote]
Please tell me it includes hops too. I’d have a difficult time drinking a brew without at least some hop flavor.[/quote]

I’ve been considering brewing a beer with no hops. Haven’t really fished around yet, but there’s gotta be some good’ns considering it wasn’t too long ago that virtually no one brewed with them.

Perhaps hemp?

There was a recipe for a Colonial Ale in Zymurgy, I think it was last winter. It gave a base strong ale recipe and talked about adding different ingredients to create a traditional ‘flip’ ale. They added all sorts of different combinations of spices to it, and even a raw egg if I remember correctly. They would add the spices and then stir the beer with a hot fire poker. Apparently this was a common practice during Colonial times during the winters.

If you’re interested, I can try to find the issue.

You might like Poor Richard’s Ale, supposedly close to Ben Franklin’s time. It was the Big Brew recipe in 2006, I think??? Dark and tasty! And, yes, hops! :slight_smile:

Here’s a link with recipe:

http://www.benfranklin300.org/etc_article_ale.htm

Cheers,

Alewife

PS You might enjoy reading Gregg Smith’s “Beer in America: the Early Years 1587-1840”. No recipes but a wonderful historical perspective. Beer and brewing were inextricably woven into the tapestry of our early history.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com